Facebook to allow apps to send notifications directly to users
A new API being tested will allow applications to deliver short messages to their users' profiles
IDG News Service - Facebook is tweaking its development platform to allow third-party applications to communicate directly with their users by sending notifications to their profiles.
A new Notifications API (application programming interface), now in beta testing, will allow developers to send "short, custom" messages to users of their Facebook applications.
"Notifications are a great way to re-engage users by informing them of important events, invites from friends, or actions they need to take in your app," wrote Facebook official Bo Zhang in a blog post on Friday.
Once a Facebook user has linked an application to their account, the application will be able to generate these notifications without additional permissions from the users.
However, users have the option to decline notifications, and opt out of receiving them altogether, according to Zhang.
Facebook advises developers to monitor and analyze data on the notifications they send via their Insights dashboard, which will show how often notifications are accepted, declined and completely turned off by users.
"You should watch Insights closely to make sure your notifications are well received by users and not in danger of being shut-off," Zhang wrote.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!