Facebook to allow apps to send notifications directly to users
A new API being tested will allow applications to deliver short messages to their users' profiles
IDG News Service - Facebook is tweaking its development platform to allow third-party applications to communicate directly with their users by sending notifications to their profiles.
A new Notifications API (application programming interface), now in beta testing, will allow developers to send "short, custom" messages to users of their Facebook applications.
"Notifications are a great way to re-engage users by informing them of important events, invites from friends, or actions they need to take in your app," wrote Facebook official Bo Zhang in a blog post on Friday.
Once a Facebook user has linked an application to their account, the application will be able to generate these notifications without additional permissions from the users.
However, users have the option to decline notifications, and opt out of receiving them altogether, according to Zhang.
Facebook advises developers to monitor and analyze data on the notifications they send via their Insights dashboard, which will show how often notifications are accepted, declined and completely turned off by users.
"You should watch Insights closely to make sure your notifications are well received by users and not in danger of being shut-off," Zhang wrote.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts