Facebook to allow apps to send notifications directly to users
A new API being tested will allow applications to deliver short messages to their users' profiles
IDG News Service - Facebook is tweaking its development platform to allow third-party applications to communicate directly with their users by sending notifications to their profiles.
A new Notifications API (application programming interface), now in beta testing, will allow developers to send "short, custom" messages to users of their Facebook applications.
"Notifications are a great way to re-engage users by informing them of important events, invites from friends, or actions they need to take in your app," wrote Facebook official Bo Zhang in a blog post on Friday.
Once a Facebook user has linked an application to their account, the application will be able to generate these notifications without additional permissions from the users.
However, users have the option to decline notifications, and opt out of receiving them altogether, according to Zhang.
Facebook advises developers to monitor and analyze data on the notifications they send via their Insights dashboard, which will show how often notifications are accepted, declined and completely turned off by users.
"You should watch Insights closely to make sure your notifications are well received by users and not in danger of being shut-off," Zhang wrote.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!