Facebook to allow apps to send notifications directly to users
A new API being tested will allow applications to deliver short messages to their users' profiles
IDG News Service - Facebook is tweaking its development platform to allow third-party applications to communicate directly with their users by sending notifications to their profiles.
A new Notifications API (application programming interface), now in beta testing, will allow developers to send "short, custom" messages to users of their Facebook applications.
"Notifications are a great way to re-engage users by informing them of important events, invites from friends, or actions they need to take in your app," wrote Facebook official Bo Zhang in a blog post on Friday.
Once a Facebook user has linked an application to their account, the application will be able to generate these notifications without additional permissions from the users.
However, users have the option to decline notifications, and opt out of receiving them altogether, according to Zhang.
Facebook advises developers to monitor and analyze data on the notifications they send via their Insights dashboard, which will show how often notifications are accepted, declined and completely turned off by users.
"You should watch Insights closely to make sure your notifications are well received by users and not in danger of being shut-off," Zhang wrote.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!