12 career tips from tech CEOs
Work hard, seize opportunities, think differently, say tech CEOs to young workers
Network World - It's a long way from mowing lawns and washing windows to the CEO's office, but today's tech titans haven't forgotten where they started in the working world. When Network World asked tech CEOs to talk about their first jobs, more than 30 obliged (click here to read about their experiences making licorice, cleaning hotel rooms, shoveling monkey cages, and scuba diving). They also offered advice for newcomers in the working world. Here's what they had to say:
1. Expect criticism
"It's important to be mindful about what you say and how it's perceived by others. But it's also important to learn that as a public person you are always going to be judged, no matter what. ... You have to be comfortable with yourself and open to criticism." -- Dave Rich, Revolution Analytics CEO (first job: football announcer).
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.