Motorola, Verizon set to launch Droid Razr M smartphone
Slates event in New York next week; device will cost $150 with two-year service, reports say
Computerworld - Motorola Mobility and Verizon Wireless have scheduled a press conference for Sept. 5 in New York City, reportedly to unveil a new Droid Razr M smartphone.
Reports in Engadget and BGR indicate that the Razr M will have a 4.3-in. Super Amoled Advanced display (1196 x 720 resolution) and a 1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon S 4 processor.
The smartphone will run over 4G LTE networks and include a Near Field Communications chip, 1 GB of RAM, 8 GB of internal storage and two cameras -- a 3 megapixel one in the front and an 8-megapixel model in the rear, the reports said.
The device will sell for $149.99 with a two-year contract, the reports said, putting its price tag at the low end for similar, often $200 or so smartphones.
The device will run a version of Android, either Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, the reports said.
Verizon refused to discuss plans for the event. Motorola didn't reply to a request for comment.
The Sept. 5 event follows one scheduled by Nokia and Microsoft where a Windows 8 smartphone is expected.
Samsung announced its Ativ S Windows 8 smartphone in Berlin on Wednesday.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- BlackBerry pushes BBM Protected for end-to-end encrypted messaging
- Can Microsoft's Windows Phone OS surge in market share?
- HTC One M8 called a good looker and genuine rival to the Galaxy S5
- Smartphone innovation is slowing, so what's next?
- Studies show Sprint and T-Mobile need to expand U.S. coverage
- Gear Fit: Samsung strikes again with its 'build one of any device' plan
- Nokia Lumia Icon on sale Feb. 20 exclusively at Verizon
- Samsung hints at new UI for upcoming Galaxy S5
- How 'Lenovorola' changes the mobile world
- Google and Samsung grow cozier with patent deal, Motorola sale
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!