Samsung to fight Apple's effort to ban sales of its smartphone
In a statement Tuesday, Samsung says it will 'take all necessary measures' to fight the ban
Computerworld - Samsung said Tuesday it will "take all necessary measures" to keep its products available for sale in the U.S.
The statement comes one day after Apple filed a request in federal court for a ban on eight smartphones that Samsung sells.
"We will take all necessary measures to ensure the availability of our products in the U.S. market," the Samsung statement said.
Samsung has the ability to file a motion to stop any legal injunction banning the sales, as well as to appeal an injunction, if granted.
Apple asked the U.S. District Court for Northern California for preliminary injunctions to ban sales of seven Galaxy smartphones and the Droid Charge.
The request came after a jury on Friday ruled that Samsung had infringed on Apple patents, and granted Apple damages of $1.05 billion. That amount could be tripled by presiding Judge Lucy Koh if she finds there was deliberate infringement of the patents.
The seven Galaxy phones included the ban request are the Galaxy S 4G, Galaxy S2 AT&T, Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Galaxy S2 T-Mobile, Galaxy S2 Epic 4G, Galaxy S Showcase and the Galaxy Prevail.
Judge Koh is not expected to hold a hearing on the request for a preliminary injunction request Sept. 20.
The jury had found 28 products infringed on some of Apple's patents.
If the ban is granted, U.S. wireless carriers who stock and sell the affected devices would be required to take them off their shelves.
The eight products Apple requested be banned don't include the Galaxy S III or Galaxy Note, but patent experts said Apple could push for an open-ended injunction that includes any product, even those not released for sale, if it believes they infringe on Apple patents in a significant way.
Samsung has already indicated it plans to appeal the jury's judgment from Friday.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Samsung invokes Alice case to challenge two Apple patents
- Elon Musk to open up Supercharging patent designs
- Apple asks U.S. court to make Samsung remove infringing features
- Apple and Google agree to drop all patent suits
- Update: Jury finds Samsung infringed Apple patents, must pay $120M in damages
- The wrath of Koh: Samsung gets judge's ire in Apple patent case
- In Apple v. Samsung, it's a 'holy war' for $2B
- A day into the trial, Apple and Samsung already annoying each other
- Supreme Court justices raise questions about software patents
- Phil Schiller up again in next round of Apple-Samsung battle
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Deep Security +VMware vSphere with Operations Management Most midsize organizations are highly virtualized on VMware, and while this has produced significant savings, it also has created new challenges when it...
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,...
- Best Practices for Security and Compliance with Amazon Web Services This paper will discuss what part of the shared responsibility equation customers are responsible for and what some of the recommended security practices...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts