VMware vSphere 5.1 includes backup, deduplication
EMC VFCache delivers in-line deduplication of cached data
Computerworld - VMware announced today that its vSphere cloud operating system will now come natively with EMC's Avamar backup and recovery software, which also includes data deduplication capability.
Additionally, EMC announced its VFCache PCIe server flash cards now come native with inline data deduplication. The firmware is interoperable with VSphere vMotion to enable the migration of virtual machines (VMs) residing on flash memory.
VMware, which is owned by EMC, said the two companies developed vSphere 5.1 to simplify the setup and management of backups for VMs through a single VMware console.
The new capability, called vSphere Data Protection (VDP), replaces vSphere's Data Recovery function and is included with all editions of vSphere Essentials+ and above.
"Smaller businesses and departments within larger organizations are the primary beneficiaries of this initial release, as well those who are at the outset of their virtualization journey," said David Vellante, co-founder of The Wikibon Project, a Web 2.0 community for IT professionals.
Like other backup software products, VMware and Avamar were already integrated at the API level, allowing users to purchase Avamar software and manage it through VMware's vStorage API.
Now that VDP is integrated with vCenter, users can set up backup policies quickly and manage VDP directly from the vSphere Web Client. All VM data associated with the VDP virtual appliance is also automatically deduplicated at the block level.
VDP is suited for backing up a maximum of 100 VMs and can protect a storage pool of up to 2TB of deduplicated data, according to Steve Flynn, EMC director of product marketing for Avamar.
Another advantage of embedding the Avamar code directly into the vSphere software is that is can now perform change-block tracking, or the ability to backup only those blocks of data on VMs that have changed between backups. That reduces bandwidth requirements for backups.
Conversely, the change-block tracking allows VDP to restore only the data that has been changed since the last backup, which affords faster recovery time compared to restoring an entire VM.
"Part of the challenge you have in a VMware environment is there are so many VMs that if you try to crawl through everything to see what data has changed, you'll never get things done in time," said Shane Jackson, vice president of marketing for EMC's Backup Recovery Systems Division. "You need VMware to be able to tell us, here are the three things that have changed since your last backup, so this is what you need to look for on your recovery."
VFCache vSphere integration
Through its VMware ownership, EMC also integrated its VFCache server flash cards with vSphere and announced deduplication on the cards.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform Datasheet Seamlessly transition to the cloud. Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform delivers an integrated foundation to create, deploy, and scale a secure and...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts