Oracle broadens support for open-source R analytics
New OS options and integrations with math libraries are on tap
IDG News Service - Oracle is expanding its support for R, the open-source language for statistical analysis, the company announced Friday.
New features include R ports for the Solaris and AIX OSes, adding to existing support for Linux and Windows environments, Oracle said. Oracle has also extended R support to its TimesTen in-memory database.
In addition, Oracle will deliver an open-source distribution of R that can work with the Sunperf, MKL and ACML math libraries, which are provided by Oracle, Intel and AMD, respectively. This will allow R "to run extremely fast on all compatible hardware," Oracle said in a statement.
Oracle had already offered Oracle R Enterprise, which allows R users to apply their existing scripts and statistical models to data contained in Oracle's flagship database, according to Oracle. R Enterprise is available as part of Oracle's Advanced Analytics product, which also includes its data-mining software.
R has its roots in academia but has been subject to increased attention from enterprise tech vendors of late, even SAS Institute, which is known for its own widely used, proprietary statistical-analysis software.
In terms of R's effectiveness for enterprise IT shops, it all comes down to the level of integration with other elements of the BI (business intelligence) stack, Forrester Research analyst Boris Evelson said in a blog post Friday.
"Since R is a scripting language, does a BI vendor provide point-and-click GUI to generate R code," he wrote. "Can R routines leverage and take advantage of all of the BI metadata (data structures, definitions, etc) without having to redefine it again just for R? How easily can the output from R calculations (scores, rankings) be embedded in the BI reports and dashboards?"
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Operationalizing the Buzz: Big Data 2013 The 2013 EMA/9sight Big Data research surveyed 259 business and technology stakeholders around the world.
- The Big Data Security Analytics Era Is Here New security risks and old security challenges often overwhelm legacy security controls and analytical tools.
- Building an Intelligence-Driven Security Operations Center The openness of today's networks and the growing sophistication of advanced threats make it almost impossible to prevent cyber attacks and intrusions.
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!