Oracle broadens support for open-source R analytics
New OS options and integrations with math libraries are on tap
IDG News Service - Oracle is expanding its support for R, the open-source language for statistical analysis, the company announced Friday.
New features include R ports for the Solaris and AIX OSes, adding to existing support for Linux and Windows environments, Oracle said. Oracle has also extended R support to its TimesTen in-memory database.
In addition, Oracle will deliver an open-source distribution of R that can work with the Sunperf, MKL and ACML math libraries, which are provided by Oracle, Intel and AMD, respectively. This will allow R "to run extremely fast on all compatible hardware," Oracle said in a statement.
Oracle had already offered Oracle R Enterprise, which allows R users to apply their existing scripts and statistical models to data contained in Oracle's flagship database, according to Oracle. R Enterprise is available as part of Oracle's Advanced Analytics product, which also includes its data-mining software.
R has its roots in academia but has been subject to increased attention from enterprise tech vendors of late, even SAS Institute, which is known for its own widely used, proprietary statistical-analysis software.
In terms of R's effectiveness for enterprise IT shops, it all comes down to the level of integration with other elements of the BI (business intelligence) stack, Forrester Research analyst Boris Evelson said in a blog post Friday.
"Since R is a scripting language, does a BI vendor provide point-and-click GUI to generate R code," he wrote. "Can R routines leverage and take advantage of all of the BI metadata (data structures, definitions, etc) without having to redefine it again just for R? How easily can the output from R calculations (scores, rankings) be embedded in the BI reports and dashboards?"
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Best Practices in SAS Data Management for Big Data Big data trends and related technologies are becoming important to organizations of all types and sizes. This paper introduces the most important technologies...
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- Understanding Big Data Quality for Maximum Information Usability In this paper we examine some of the challenges presented by managing the quality and governance of big data, and how those can...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!