Computerworld - The number of new outsourcing contracts worldwide dropped by 20% in the second quarter, to 411 from 516 in the same period a year earlier, with contract values also sliding, according to new research.
"The market is growing, but the pace of growth is slowing," said Salil Dani, an analyst at Everest Group.
The decline in the number of new contracts can be partly attributed to economic factors such as the debt crisis in Europe, Dani said. But organizations in the U.S. are also shying away because the presidential campaign has featured some anti-offshoring rhetoric, he added.
Everest said its estimate is based on publicly disclosed data and includes new transactions as well as renewals. The annualized value of newly reported contracts in the second quarter was $2.3 billion, compared with $2.6 billion in the same quarter last year, the research firm said. (The annualized value is the total value of a deal divided by the number of years it lasts.)
There were 54 deals with total values exceeding $50 million each reported in the second quarter, compared with 61 in the first quarter. That second-quarter figure includes two deals with total values of more than $1 billion each, Everest said. But there are a lot of contracts worth less than $25 million.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts