NetApp touts Fusion-io partnership, server flash management
NetApp claims servers run 90% faster with its flash cache
Computerworld - NetApp is now selling software that uses NAND flash in its arrays to increase the performance of servers, the company has announced. It also unveiled a deal with Fusion-io to use that company's PCIe flash cards for arrays running its ONTAP operating system.
NetApp currently offers both PCIe based flash cards and solid state drives (SSDs) in its Fabric Attached Storage (FAS) arrays. Application data is migrated between hard drives and flash or SSDs by NetApp's Virtual Storage Tier (VST) offering.
NetApp said it has now introduced Flash Accel software to its VST product family, allowing users of its Data ONTAP OS to manage flash in arrays and SSDs in both physical and virtualized servers.
"Flash Accel is a piece of software that turns any server PCI-e or SSD drive into a cache for the backend ONTAP system," Paul Feresten, a senior product marketing manager at NetApp," said in an email reply to Computerworld
"NetApp actually does not make its own server flash or SSD device, we merely leverage the plethora of server flash available and add software (thus turning it into server cache) to accelerate backend ONTAP system," he added.
Through its Data ONTAP OS and other VST devices and software, such as NetApp Flash Cache PCIe cards and NetApp Flash Pool virtualization software, NetApp users can now manage server-level, controller-level and disk-level Flash memory and back-end hard-disk storage use within a single data management infrastructure.
As with other vendors offerings, NetApp's Flash Accel can use the high performance of NAND flash to boost application performance. NetApp claims applications running on its flash can cut server latency by 90%.
"NetApp testing shows that by storing up to 2TB of hot data in server flash memory, application and server latency can be reduced by up to 90% and IOPS are increased by 80%," the company said. "And, by off-loading 'hot' IOPS at the server, Flash Accel helps reduce demand on back-end FAS storage."
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform Datasheet Seamlessly transition to the cloud. Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform delivers an integrated foundation to create, deploy, and scale a secure and...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts