7 reasons the FTC could audit your privacy program
Getting investigated by the government for the first time can put a chill through a company. Saverice-Rohan recommends against letting a defensive posture take root.
"Be cooperative and maintain a positive dialogue upon completion of the investigation," she told me.
"When appropriate, engage with the commission and their staff prior to making material changes to your business model or privacy practices that you think may spur scrutiny."
This is advice you can take to the data bank.
More by Jay Cline
- Jay Cline: U.S. takes the gold in doling out privacy fines
- Jay Cline: Is privacy dead?
- Jay Cline: A growing cultural divide on privacy
- Jay Cline: What will Snowden leak next?
- Global winners and losers post-Snowden
- 7 reasons the FTC could audit your privacy program
- Google and the privacy Richter scale
- Jay Cline: Are medical-data breaches overreported?
- iPhone location-tracking incident boosts stock of 'privacy by design'
- Survey: The best privacy advisers of 2010
Read more about Privacy in Computerworld's Privacy Topic Center.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- Data Protection and Disaster Recovery with iSCSI and VMware Get this on demand webcast now
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to... All Privacy White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!