Nexus 7 sales could hit 8M by year's end, analyst says
Estimate based on shipments of touch displays for device
Computerworld - Google could sell between six million and eight million of its $199 Nexus 7 tablets by year's end, according to a new estimate.
That's more than double the three million Google expected to sell by the end of 2012, after putting the device on sale in July and seeing the 16GB version sell-out briefly.
The estimate, based on projections using expected shipments of four million touch panels for the Nexus 7 in the third quarter 2012, was posted online at Tech-thoughts.net.
Google didn't comment on the estimate and a spokesman said that Google hasn't published any sales numbers for the device. Tech-thoughts tabbed sales for the third quarter alone at 2.9 million.
By comparison, the $199 Kindle Fire, which went on sale last fall, has sold about 5 million, according to an average of estimates by several analyst firms.
The analysis, authored by Sameer Singh, founder of Tech-thoughts, pegged the time it takes Asus to produce and deliver a Nexus 7 at 2.5 weeks. He said that after Google saw strong initial demand, "Google and Asus may have roughly doubled their [sales] estimates and cranked up the production volume."
A Gartner Inc. spokeswoman estimated the Nexus 7 so far has sold 1 million to 1.5 million units in about five weeks, based on reports from suppliers. Carolina Milanesi said the Tech-thoughts estimate of 6 million to 8 million Nexus 7 sales by year's end is higher than Gartner is expecting, but she didn't elaborate.
More tablet info
The table below shows the most recently announced tablets as reported by Computerworld. Click a tablet's name in the leftmost column to read a news story or review with more information about the device, or view a larger table with more details about each product.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts