Lenovo not worried about Microsoft's Surface tablet, expects to beat it
The Chinese PC maker is confident it can provide better hardware than Microsoft
IDG News Service - Lenovo said on Thursday the company was not worried about Microsoft's new Surface tablet, with its CEO stating the PC maker is confident it provides better hardware than its competitors including Microsoft.
"They (Microsoft) are strong in the software, but I don't believe they can provide the best hardware in the world. Lenovo can," said Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing during an earnings call.
"Although we don't like Microsoft providing the hardware, but even though they are starting this hardware business, we think for us that just adds one more competitor," he added.
Earlier this month, the CEO of rival PC maker Acer said the company was opposed to Microsoft selling its Surface tablet, which he said would be negative for the industry's ecosystem.
In the past, Microsoft has relied on PC vendors to push out its Windows product through their notebook and desktop products. But for its upcoming Windows 8 release, the software giant has decided to sell its own "Surface" tablet device using the OS, which would compete with its partners products.
Reports have also emerged that a version of Microsoft's Surface tablet will be priced at US$199. During Thursday's earnings call, however, Lenovo's CEO said, "Regarding of the Surface, to be frank, we are not that worried about that."
"We are still confident in ourselves. We are providing much better hardware than our competitors including Microsoft," he said.
Microsoft could not be reached immediately for comment. Windows 8 and the Surface tablet are scheduled to be released on Oct. 26.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Windows White Papers |