Lenovo not worried about Microsoft's Surface tablet, expects to beat it
The Chinese PC maker is confident it can provide better hardware than Microsoft
IDG News Service - Lenovo said on Thursday the company was not worried about Microsoft's new Surface tablet, with its CEO stating the PC maker is confident it provides better hardware than its competitors including Microsoft.
"They (Microsoft) are strong in the software, but I don't believe they can provide the best hardware in the world. Lenovo can," said Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing during an earnings call.
"Although we don't like Microsoft providing the hardware, but even though they are starting this hardware business, we think for us that just adds one more competitor," he added.
Earlier this month, the CEO of rival PC maker Acer said the company was opposed to Microsoft selling its Surface tablet, which he said would be negative for the industry's ecosystem.
In the past, Microsoft has relied on PC vendors to push out its Windows product through their notebook and desktop products. But for its upcoming Windows 8 release, the software giant has decided to sell its own "Surface" tablet device using the OS, which would compete with its partners products.
Reports have also emerged that a version of Microsoft's Surface tablet will be priced at US$199. During Thursday's earnings call, however, Lenovo's CEO said, "Regarding of the Surface, to be frank, we are not that worried about that."
"We are still confident in ourselves. We are providing much better hardware than our competitors including Microsoft," he said.
Microsoft could not be reached immediately for comment. Windows 8 and the Surface tablet are scheduled to be released on Oct. 26.
- Microsoft Private Cloud--Making it Real Cloud computing is happening. It is being driven by the exponential growth in modern applications, data and devices. These trends require organizations to...
- A Strategy for moving IT into the era of cloud computing In the Dell point of view, the cloud represents both the natural evolution of the data center and the future of IT service...
- Don't ignore Windows Server 2003 End of Support until it' too late! Today's business environments are very different to those of 10 years ago. Windows Server 2003 has been a trusted friend for over a...
- 5 PC Hardware Innovations that Pay Off for Business Refresh cycles have been extended for many companies over the last few years. Just because a PC still works, doesn't mean it's providing...
- Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed in recent years, and it continues to escalate.
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10... All Windows White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!