IBM to acquire solid state vendor Texas Memory
IBM plans to incorporate Texas Memory's solid state systems in the IBM PureSystem line
IDG News Service - To augment its line of storage and data center systems with solid state technology, IBM is acquiring flash memory system provider Texas Memory Systems (TMS). Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
IBM plans to incorporate TMS products into IBM's PureSystems prepackaged hardware systems, as well as into other storage, server and software product lines. Solid state technologies will become a core component of Smarter Storage line of storage systems, said Brian Truskowski, IBM general manager of systems storage and networking, in a statement.
TMS sells high performance solid state disk-based storage systems under the RamSan product name. The company offers both rack-mounted storage as well as PCIe cards embedded with flash. Solid state disks offer performance and reliability advantages over traditional spinning disk-based drives. IDC estimates that by 2016 enterprise systems will procure nearly three exabytes, or 1 billion gigabytes, of solid state storage a year.
IBM will continue to support the products TMS has already sold to customers, as well as invest in improving TMS technologies, the company stated.
Based in Houston, Texas, TMS is privately held. It was founded in 1978, and currently employs about 100 personnel.
The deal is expected to close later in 2012.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts