IBM to acquire solid state vendor Texas Memory
IBM plans to incorporate Texas Memory's solid state systems in the IBM PureSystem line
IDG News Service - To augment its line of storage and data center systems with solid state technology, IBM is acquiring flash memory system provider Texas Memory Systems (TMS). Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
IBM plans to incorporate TMS products into IBM's PureSystems prepackaged hardware systems, as well as into other storage, server and software product lines. Solid state technologies will become a core component of Smarter Storage line of storage systems, said Brian Truskowski, IBM general manager of systems storage and networking, in a statement.
TMS sells high performance solid state disk-based storage systems under the RamSan product name. The company offers both rack-mounted storage as well as PCIe cards embedded with flash. Solid state disks offer performance and reliability advantages over traditional spinning disk-based drives. IDC estimates that by 2016 enterprise systems will procure nearly three exabytes, or 1 billion gigabytes, of solid state storage a year.
IBM will continue to support the products TMS has already sold to customers, as well as invest in improving TMS technologies, the company stated.
Based in Houston, Texas, TMS is privately held. It was founded in 1978, and currently employs about 100 personnel.
The deal is expected to close later in 2012.
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- CrashPlan PROe Security Because mobile laptops often are connected to unsecured networks, a very high standard of security is required to ensure privacy.
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts