IBM to acquire solid state vendor Texas Memory
IBM plans to incorporate Texas Memory's solid state systems in the IBM PureSystem line
IDG News Service - To augment its line of storage and data center systems with solid state technology, IBM is acquiring flash memory system provider Texas Memory Systems (TMS). Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
IBM plans to incorporate TMS products into IBM's PureSystems prepackaged hardware systems, as well as into other storage, server and software product lines. Solid state technologies will become a core component of Smarter Storage line of storage systems, said Brian Truskowski, IBM general manager of systems storage and networking, in a statement.
TMS sells high performance solid state disk-based storage systems under the RamSan product name. The company offers both rack-mounted storage as well as PCIe cards embedded with flash. Solid state disks offer performance and reliability advantages over traditional spinning disk-based drives. IDC estimates that by 2016 enterprise systems will procure nearly three exabytes, or 1 billion gigabytes, of solid state storage a year.
IBM will continue to support the products TMS has already sold to customers, as well as invest in improving TMS technologies, the company stated.
Based in Houston, Texas, TMS is privately held. It was founded in 1978, and currently employs about 100 personnel.
The deal is expected to close later in 2012.
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts