Mobile Web browsing on iOS devices mushrooms as BlackBerry declines
BlackBerry device Web usage is now about 1% of all mobile traffic
Computerworld - Web usage by iPhone and iPad owners has grown by 35% in North American over the past year, while browsing with BlackBerry smartphones and the PlayBook tablet has dropped by 25%.
Those Web usage statistics, gathered by mobile ad network Chitika, were offered up in a blog posted Thursday by the company.
The drop in Web use by Research in Motion BlackBerry devices came at the same the company saw a decline in sales. IDC recently said that second quarter 2012 market share for BlackBerry smartphones shipped to retailers dropped to 4.8% -- a 41% decline from the same quarter in 2011.
BlackBerry device Web usage is a small share overall--about 1% of all mobile traffic in July 2012. Apple's smartphones and tablets now account for a "staggering" 63% of all mobile Web traffic, Chitika said.
Chitika studies Web usage by analyzing 250,000 Web sites in North America and regularly looking at hundreds of millions of Web page views of ads each week, a spokesman said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!