Mobile Web browsing on iOS devices mushrooms as BlackBerry declines
BlackBerry device Web usage is now about 1% of all mobile traffic
Computerworld - Web usage by iPhone and iPad owners has grown by 35% in North American over the past year, while browsing with BlackBerry smartphones and the PlayBook tablet has dropped by 25%.
Those Web usage statistics, gathered by mobile ad network Chitika, were offered up in a blog posted Thursday by the company.
The drop in Web use by Research in Motion BlackBerry devices came at the same the company saw a decline in sales. IDC recently said that second quarter 2012 market share for BlackBerry smartphones shipped to retailers dropped to 4.8% -- a 41% decline from the same quarter in 2011.
BlackBerry device Web usage is a small share overall--about 1% of all mobile traffic in July 2012. Apple's smartphones and tablets now account for a "staggering" 63% of all mobile Web traffic, Chitika said.
Chitika studies Web usage by analyzing 250,000 Web sites in North America and regularly looking at hundreds of millions of Web page views of ads each week, a spokesman said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Vehicles Best Practices Installation Guide With the Vehicle Best Practices Installation Guide you will learn the background on the problems and solutions as well as guidance for the...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts