Mobile Web browsing on iOS devices mushrooms as BlackBerry declines
BlackBerry device Web usage is now about 1% of all mobile traffic
Computerworld - Web usage by iPhone and iPad owners has grown by 35% in North American over the past year, while browsing with BlackBerry smartphones and the PlayBook tablet has dropped by 25%.
Those Web usage statistics, gathered by mobile ad network Chitika, were offered up in a blog posted Thursday by the company.
The drop in Web use by Research in Motion BlackBerry devices came at the same the company saw a decline in sales. IDC recently said that second quarter 2012 market share for BlackBerry smartphones shipped to retailers dropped to 4.8% -- a 41% decline from the same quarter in 2011.
BlackBerry device Web usage is a small share overall--about 1% of all mobile traffic in July 2012. Apple's smartphones and tablets now account for a "staggering" 63% of all mobile Web traffic, Chitika said.
Chitika studies Web usage by analyzing 250,000 Web sites in North America and regularly looking at hundreds of millions of Web page views of ads each week, a spokesman said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!