Network World - While nobody is predicting that the proliferation of mobile devices in the enterprise will create a full-blown bandwidth catastrophe, IT managers will have to move quickly to ensure satisfactory performance for employees accessing company data over wireless links.
The biggest issue is ensuring that data is available when users want it, and that wireless connections are secure and reliable. While this is also true for wired networks, mobile computing poses an additional burden on IT.
"Mobile computing offers a unique challenge. We can't predict where users are going to be, and we have to be prepared to support users anywhere, all the time," says John Edgar, vice president of information technology at the U.S. Postal Service.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Securing the enterprise workspace: protect your organization while supporting mobility and BYOD This white paper explains how Dell Mobility Solutions for security can help protect your organization's data, simplify administration and support forward-thinking mobility initiatives.
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program In this white paper, learn how to select the right mobile devices for your organization and manage them with efficiency, flexibility and security...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!