AT&T suffers DNS outage
Few details on outage that appears to be hitting companies across the U.S.
IDG News Service - Some AT&T customers are being affected by a failure in the carrier's DNS (Domain Name System) servers that began Wednesday morning.
Initial reports indicate the failure is hitting companies across the U.S., but few details are immediately available.
"We are currently experiencing DNS issues which could affect DMS (Digital Media Solutions) clients who also host their DNS with ATT," the carrier said in a short message posted to a service status on its Managed Services website. "Our Network Operations team is aware of the problem and is working the issue."
"Our highest level of technical support personnel have been engaged and are working to mitigate the issue," AT&T said.
The status message said there is "no estimated time" for restoring the service.
AT&T did not respond to several requests for comment.
DNS is responsible for converting human-friendly domain names into the numeric IP (Internet protocol) addresses that computers use to route data. When it fails, computers are unable to route data to its intended destination, even though the destination server remains online and accessible.
"We got our first report of problems at 6:31am Pacific time," said Daniel Blackmon, director of software development, at Worldwide Environmental Products. The company tests vehicle emissions and has remote units deployed that report back to central servers.
"The problems mean none of the equipment we have in the field can contact our servers, and there is a limit to the amount of information they can hold offline."
(More to come)
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!