Don't expect new features in Mac suite for Office 365, says Microsoft
Office for Mac won't match Windows version's innovative install process, or on-the-fly streaming
Computerworld - Although customers who subscribe to Office 365 will be able to install and run Office for Mac as part of the five-copies-per-plan deal, the Mac suite will sport few changes, Microsoft has said.
Unlike Office on Windows, which will shift to Office 2013, Office for Mac will not be upgraded alongside the launch of the new Office 365 subscription plans.
"Office for Mac 14.3 will enable subscriptions, and some bug fixes will be included. But the real thing to the addition [to Office for Mac 2011] is that it will work with Office 365," Brian Holt, a senior product manager for the Mac suite, said in a recent interview.
Last month, Microsoft unveiled previews of Office 365, among them the consumer-friendly Home Premium. Customers who subscribe to Office 365 will be able to install and run Office 2013 on up to five devices, which Microsoft defined as PCs and tablets running Windows 7 or Windows 8.
With the addition of Office for Mac to the mix, consumers with a heterogeneous household -- some Macs, some Windows PCs -- can run Office on multiple machines for one monthly or annual payment.
All the Office 365 plans, including those for small businesses and enterprises, will allow Office for Mac 2011 to be installed as one or more of the five-per-user allowance.
But as Holt said, Office for Mac 14.3, the minor update that will debut when the new Office 365 plans launch, will not change how the suite works or what features it offers users. It won't, for example, include the new technologies that Microsoft has highlighted in Office 2013 on Windows.
Office 2013 uses a quick-start installation technology, called "Click-to-Run," that downloads and installs the basics within minutes to let users start working almost immediately. It also includes "Office on Demand," which streams Office to Windows 7- and Windows 8-based PCs for on-the-fly work at public machines.
Those features can't be implemented on the Mac because OS X doesn't support those technologies' tactics, Microsoft said.
Office for Mac 2011 will use the familiar Mac installer rather than duplicate Click-to-Run, Microsoft said. When Office 365 subscribers access their account management panel, they will see three choices for each device: 32- and 64-bit versions of Office 2013, and Office for Mac. Selecting the third option will initiate a download of an installer that must be run in the standard OS X fashion.
Office 365 subscribers with Macs must use the Windows version of the application bundle to take advantage of Office on Demand. The single-use copy that is temporarily installed on the Windows PC does not count toward the five-device limit.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Using Packet Analysis for Quality of Experience Monitoring In this whitepaper, we will discuss what Packet Analysis is, some of the useful information it can provide, and how this info can...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts