Ford dealers get iPad app to use with showroom customers
Quick inventory check on tablet can avoid long search of dealers' lots
Computerworld - Ford dealers now have an iPad app they can use to quickly check available inventory and offer product information to help out customers in their showrooms.
Also included in the Showcase app is video content on car features that sales personnel can show to customers on an iPad as they shop at a dealership.
Michelle Moody, cross vehicle marketing manager for Ford, said the company started considering the app in early 2011 to improve the car-buying experience.
The app builds on the Ford.com website, which allows for configuring and comparing vehicles. Sales personnel can use the iPad app to determine what features a customer wants and then immediately check inventory to find a vehicle in stock that most closely matches those needs, Ford said in a statement.
Videos on the app can explain a variety of features such as Sync and active parking assistance, along with other features such as a lane-keeping system that Ford said might not be easy to showcase during a test drive.
Since the app can be used to check inventory for a specific car and price, it can speed up a purchase compared to a more time-consuming search for a vehicle on a dealer's lot. If the customer needs more time, the sales person can email the customer information on specific vehicles in stock.
Razorfish worked with Ford to design the app over several months in 2011, and a pilot group of 14 Ford dealers tested it starting last November. Ford offered the app to dealers starting on Aug. 1; nearly 200 dealers have signed up to use it.
Ford didn't reveal how much it cost to build the app. A spokeswoman said the program is voluntary to dealers who pay for the iPads they use and a subscription fee for the app. "Many of them are very excited about the program," she said.
Moody said that kiosks in the showroom have been available for customers to check vehicle features for some time, "but many customers were not as comfortable using these on their own."
iPad apps have been popular with car dealers. Mercedes Benz launched an iPad app in 2010 to help dealers sell cars and some cars incorporate iOS and Android devices and their apps in the operation of vehicles.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- The Value of IBM InfoSphere BigInsights The IBM® InfoSphere® BigInsights™ software platform helps firms discover and analyze business insights hidden in large volumes of a diverse range of data....
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Unified Communications 101 What's the best way to implement a unified communications solution for your organization? Join independent networking expert, Ed Tittel, as he weighs the... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts