SUSE Linux outlines plans for Windows 8 secure boot
Based on Fedora's strategy, this new approach to Windows 8's restrictions adds new flexibility to the mix.
IDG News Service - Well, the Secure Boot saga keeps going on and on as Linux distributions far and wide decide how they're going to work around Windows 8's planned restrictions, and this week we heard from yet another project.
"UEFI Secure Boot is a useful technology, making it harder for attackers to hide a rootkit in the boot chain," began Olaf Kirch, director of the SUSE Linux Enterprise department in SUSE Engineering, in a blog post on Wednesday. "At the same time, already the basics of its operation -- establishing a single root of trust -- conflict with the principles of Open Source development, which must be independent and distributed to work."
'It's a Smart Solution'
For those who missed it, Windows 8's Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) will stipulate that only operating systems with an appropriate digital signature can boot. Both the Free Software Foundation and the Linux Foundation have weighed in with their own views on the matter.
Yet there are two ways of working around those restrictions, Kirch explained.
"One is to work with hardware vendors to have them endorse a SUSE key which we then sign the boot loader with," he explained. "The other way is to go through Microsoft's Windows Logo Certification program to have the boot loader certified and have Microsoft recognize our signing key."
SUSE plans to use the shim loader originally developed by Fedora, Kirch said: "It's a smart solution which avoids several nasty legal issues, and simplifies the certification/signing step considerably," he explained.
That shim loader will load the GRUB 2 boot loader, verify it, and then load kernels signed by a SUSE key.
Two Keys Possible
On Thursday, however, Vojet
- Infographic: Maintain Less. Create More. Spend less on maintenance and spend more time creating with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Read on to learn how Red Hat can help...
- Flying High on the Use of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Flybe was one of the 21 companies that were interviewed for quantitative results on their operations as part of an IDC ROI analysis....
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Linux and Unix White Papers | Webcasts