SSD array maker Nimble releases scale-out arrays
The new expansion shelves can be combined with existing Nimble storage
The new products are designed to offer easy-to-deploy storage clustering and are being marketed for use in performance-intensive applications such as virtual desktop infrastructures (VDI), online transaction processing (OLTP) and databases.
Nimble Storage also announced a new version of its operating system. Nimble OS 2.0 is the glue that allows users to cluster the performance or capacity arrays together, providing linear scaling of both, as well as a unified management interface.
Nimble Storage, which came out of development two years ago with its first product, has sold SAN arrays that combine solid-state drives (SSDs) with high-capacity hard disk drives. The arrays serve as both primary and backup storage with the ability to replicate data offsite for disaster recovery.
The new products include the ES-Series expansion shelves, which allow users to incrementally boost performance through the addition of SSDs and CPU upgrades, and the CS400 series arrays, which allow users to grow only storage capacity. The arrays can be used alone or they can be added with no downtime to existing CS200 series array controllers and can be used for performance-intensive applications.
"This allows customers to be able to scale a deployment to meet their needs at the lowest incremental cost -- whether they need more capacity, performance or both," said Dan Leary, vice president of marketing for Nimble.
The new enterprise-class CS400 array product line includes the CS420, with 12TB of disk capacity and 320GB of flash; the CS440, offering 24TB of raw capacity and 640GB of flash; and the CS460, offering 48TB of raw capacity and 1,200GB of flash.
The CS400 arrays extend the family of Nimble SAN servers, following on the success of the company's flagship CS200 arrays.
Scale performance consists of SSD and CPU upgrades to increase raw computational power and IOPS (input/output operations per second). Scale capacity is provided by new ES-Series expansion shelves, which deliver three incremental levels of raw capacity and flash: ES-H125 - 15TB raw capacity, 160GB flash; ES-H145 - 30TB raw capacity, 300GB flash; and ES-H165 - 45TB raw capacity, 600GB flash.
The CS400 series arrays, ES-Series expansion shelves and flash expansion options will be available in the third quarter of 2012. Nimble OS 2.0, which supports scale-out clustering, will be available in the fourth quarter of this year. Pricing was not yet available.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- VCE Converged Infrastructure Enables Continuous Operation for Swiss Power Plant Read how Vblock™ Systems, running in active-active mode, enabled KKL to transform its twin data centers in just two months, enable continuous operations,...
- The Future of IT: A Customer First Approach Explore how customer-first policies can make use of social, mobile and cloud technologies to give workers the freedom and flexibility they desire to...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts