Sprint drops price of 16 GB iPhone 4S to $149.99
Verizon, AT&T still holding at $200
Computerworld - Sprint has cut the price of the 16 GB iPhone 4S by $50 to $149.99.
The move comes about five weeks ahead of Apple's expected launch of the next-generation iPhone on Sept. 12.
A Verizon Wireless spokeswoman said she didn't have anything to share on reducing the iPhone 4S price. AT&T said it has a refurbished iPhone 4S for $149, but nothing further to announce. Both carriers offer the same model for $199.99. All three carriers require a two-year service plan.
Some retailers started to drop prices for the iPhone 4S in early May in hopes of reducing inventory, according to various reports. Retailers Target and RadioShack dropped the price by $50, the same level as Sprint, only three months earlier.
In 2011, in anticipation of the iPhone 4S announcement in the fall (which was still being called the iPhone 5 by many sources), retailers also dropped prices in early August of that year. The iPhone 4S was officially announced Oct. 4, 2011, and started selling for $199 on Oct. 14.
If Apple announces the iPhone 5, or whatever it will be called, on Sept. 12, shipments are likely to start 10 days later, on Sept. 22, given the pattern of 2011. That event would be three weeks earlier than in 2011.
Sprint's announcement of the iPhone 4S price reduction early in the month would be closer to the time of the anticipated announcement by about three weeks, than when retailers announced the price reductions for the iPhone 4 in 2011.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts