Sprint drops price of 16 GB iPhone 4S to $149.99
Verizon, AT&T still holding at $200
Computerworld - Sprint has cut the price of the 16 GB iPhone 4S by $50 to $149.99.
The move comes about five weeks ahead of Apple's expected launch of the next-generation iPhone on Sept. 12.
A Verizon Wireless spokeswoman said she didn't have anything to share on reducing the iPhone 4S price. AT&T said it has a refurbished iPhone 4S for $149, but nothing further to announce. Both carriers offer the same model for $199.99. All three carriers require a two-year service plan.
Some retailers started to drop prices for the iPhone 4S in early May in hopes of reducing inventory, according to various reports. Retailers Target and RadioShack dropped the price by $50, the same level as Sprint, only three months earlier.
In 2011, in anticipation of the iPhone 4S announcement in the fall (which was still being called the iPhone 5 by many sources), retailers also dropped prices in early August of that year. The iPhone 4S was officially announced Oct. 4, 2011, and started selling for $199 on Oct. 14.
If Apple announces the iPhone 5, or whatever it will be called, on Sept. 12, shipments are likely to start 10 days later, on Sept. 22, given the pattern of 2011. That event would be three weeks earlier than in 2011.
Sprint's announcement of the iPhone 4S price reduction early in the month would be closer to the time of the anticipated announcement by about three weeks, than when retailers announced the price reductions for the iPhone 4 in 2011.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts