Sprint drops price of 16 GB iPhone 4S to $149.99
Verizon, AT&T still holding at $200
Computerworld - Sprint has cut the price of the 16 GB iPhone 4S by $50 to $149.99.
The move comes about five weeks ahead of Apple's expected launch of the next-generation iPhone on Sept. 12.
A Verizon Wireless spokeswoman said she didn't have anything to share on reducing the iPhone 4S price. AT&T said it has a refurbished iPhone 4S for $149, but nothing further to announce. Both carriers offer the same model for $199.99. All three carriers require a two-year service plan.
Some retailers started to drop prices for the iPhone 4S in early May in hopes of reducing inventory, according to various reports. Retailers Target and RadioShack dropped the price by $50, the same level as Sprint, only three months earlier.
In 2011, in anticipation of the iPhone 4S announcement in the fall (which was still being called the iPhone 5 by many sources), retailers also dropped prices in early August of that year. The iPhone 4S was officially announced Oct. 4, 2011, and started selling for $199 on Oct. 14.
If Apple announces the iPhone 5, or whatever it will be called, on Sept. 12, shipments are likely to start 10 days later, on Sept. 22, given the pattern of 2011. That event would be three weeks earlier than in 2011.
Sprint's announcement of the iPhone 4S price reduction early in the month would be closer to the time of the anticipated announcement by about three weeks, than when retailers announced the price reductions for the iPhone 4 in 2011.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts