Survey: Tablet buyers rate apps availability, price the highest
Buyers of the iPad like Apple's brand and want many apps, while Android-based tablet owners rate price the highest
IDG News Service - U.S. tablet buyers were most influenced by the availability of applications and device price during the second quarter, according to a survey conducted by comScore.
The market research company questioned 6,000 U.S. tablet owners, and divided them into three categories: iPad, Android and Kindle Fire. The latter is based on Android, but the comScore still separated it from other products based on Google's OS.
Overall, the selection of applications and price were the two most important purchase considerations, with both categories receiving a 7.7 rating on a scale of 1 to 10.
However, there is a difference in how important iPad, Android and Kindle Fire owners think they are.
Among iPad owners app availability got 8.1 and price received a 7.2 rating. That compares to Android and Kindle Fire owners who rated price as more important -- 7.9 and 8.1 -- than the availability of applications -- 7.3 and 7.5 -- according to comScore.
For iPad owners, brand, OS and music and video capabilities were all seen as more important than price. Among Android-owners, the OS was the second most important factor following price.
The least important purchase consideration, across the board, was recommendations from salespeople.
Apple's iPad owners skewed male, slightly younger and wealthier that the average tablet buyer. The Kindle Fire, on the other hand, was more popular among female buyers -- 56.6 percent of the respondents that bought the Amazon tablet were women, according to comScore.
The survey also showed that tablet owners were overall very satisfied with their respective devices, with the average reaching 8.6. That corresponding number for smartphone owners was 8.1.
Owners of the iPad were the most satisfied with an 8.8 rating, followed closely by Kindle Fire owners at 8.7. Android tablet users came in slightly lower at a rating of 8.2, comScore said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!