Survey: Tablet buyers rate apps availability, price the highest
Buyers of the iPad like Apple's brand and want many apps, while Android-based tablet owners rate price the highest
IDG News Service - U.S. tablet buyers were most influenced by the availability of applications and device price during the second quarter, according to a survey conducted by comScore.
The market research company questioned 6,000 U.S. tablet owners, and divided them into three categories: iPad, Android and Kindle Fire. The latter is based on Android, but the comScore still separated it from other products based on Google's OS.
Overall, the selection of applications and price were the two most important purchase considerations, with both categories receiving a 7.7 rating on a scale of 1 to 10.
However, there is a difference in how important iPad, Android and Kindle Fire owners think they are.
Among iPad owners app availability got 8.1 and price received a 7.2 rating. That compares to Android and Kindle Fire owners who rated price as more important -- 7.9 and 8.1 -- than the availability of applications -- 7.3 and 7.5 -- according to comScore.
For iPad owners, brand, OS and music and video capabilities were all seen as more important than price. Among Android-owners, the OS was the second most important factor following price.
The least important purchase consideration, across the board, was recommendations from salespeople.
Apple's iPad owners skewed male, slightly younger and wealthier that the average tablet buyer. The Kindle Fire, on the other hand, was more popular among female buyers -- 56.6 percent of the respondents that bought the Amazon tablet were women, according to comScore.
The survey also showed that tablet owners were overall very satisfied with their respective devices, with the average reaching 8.6. That corresponding number for smartphone owners was 8.1.
Owners of the iPad were the most satisfied with an 8.8 rating, followed closely by Kindle Fire owners at 8.7. Android tablet users came in slightly lower at a rating of 8.2, comScore said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- Pivotal Melds Big Data and Platform-as-a-service The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information. Access to data and collaboration are at the heart...
- Operationalizing the Buzz: Big Data 2013 The 2013 EMA/9sight Big Data research surveyed 259 business and technology stakeholders around the world.
- The Pivotal Big Data Suite- Reducing the Risks of Big Data The explosion of big data and the rapid evolution of big data tools and technologies is challenging IT to meet the demands of...
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts