AT&T to launch Mobile Share shared data plans Aug. 23
New planner tool helps customers pick from six tiers of data up to 20GB
Computerworld - AT&T's new voluntary Mobile Share data-sharing plans for consumers and business customers will be available Aug. 23, the carrier announced today.
AT&T first described the plans on July 18. They allow unlimited voice and texting nationwide, plus sharing of data across 10 smartphones, tablets and other devices.
The tool is designed to help customers estimate their current data usage on each device, and totals what the data would be across up to 10 devices. Then it recommends the right plan from 1GB to 20GB, with the estimated cost for the recommended plan.
With the first tier, a 1GB option, shared data will cost $40 per month, plus $45 for each smartphone each month. The top tier plan, which offers 20GB of shared data, will cost $200 a month, plus $30 for each smartphone.
Verizon Wireless also set up shared data service plans in June, with the major distinction that its Share Everything plans are required for new and upgrading customers -- a point that angered some customers.
AT&T emphasized that its coming Mobile Share plans are voluntary, and that customers can keep their existing plans if they want.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Smartphones White Papers |
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!