AT&T to launch Mobile Share shared data plans Aug. 23
New planner tool helps customers pick from six tiers of data up to 20GB
Computerworld - AT&T's new voluntary Mobile Share data-sharing plans for consumers and business customers will be available Aug. 23, the carrier announced today.
AT&T first described the plans on July 18. They allow unlimited voice and texting nationwide, plus sharing of data across 10 smartphones, tablets and other devices.
The tool is designed to help customers estimate their current data usage on each device, and totals what the data would be across up to 10 devices. Then it recommends the right plan from 1GB to 20GB, with the estimated cost for the recommended plan.
With the first tier, a 1GB option, shared data will cost $40 per month, plus $45 for each smartphone each month. The top tier plan, which offers 20GB of shared data, will cost $200 a month, plus $30 for each smartphone.
Verizon Wireless also set up shared data service plans in June, with the major distinction that its Share Everything plans are required for new and upgrading customers -- a point that angered some customers.
AT&T emphasized that its coming Mobile Share plans are voluntary, and that customers can keep their existing plans if they want.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!