AT&T to launch Mobile Share shared data plans Aug. 23
New planner tool helps customers pick from six tiers of data up to 20GB
Computerworld - AT&T's new voluntary Mobile Share data-sharing plans for consumers and business customers will be available Aug. 23, the carrier announced today.
AT&T first described the plans on July 18. They allow unlimited voice and texting nationwide, plus sharing of data across 10 smartphones, tablets and other devices.
The tool is designed to help customers estimate their current data usage on each device, and totals what the data would be across up to 10 devices. Then it recommends the right plan from 1GB to 20GB, with the estimated cost for the recommended plan.
With the first tier, a 1GB option, shared data will cost $40 per month, plus $45 for each smartphone each month. The top tier plan, which offers 20GB of shared data, will cost $200 a month, plus $30 for each smartphone.
Verizon Wireless also set up shared data service plans in June, with the major distinction that its Share Everything plans are required for new and upgrading customers -- a point that angered some customers.
AT&T emphasized that its coming Mobile Share plans are voluntary, and that customers can keep their existing plans if they want.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!