Norway probe targets Facebook facial recognition tech
Data Protection Agency plans to start an investigation this fall
IDG News Service - The Norwegian Data Protection Agency is planning to launch an investigation into Facebook's facial recognition feature this fall, a spokesman said on Monday.
Last year, Facebook added the ability to use facial recognition technology to help to tag images as default feature to users worldwide.
"[Facial recognition] is a technology that it is important to have critical view of, and see how it is actually used," said Ove SkAY=ra, communications manager at the Norwegian Data Protection Agency or Datatilsynet.
The agency plans to start digging into how Facebook's feature works, and have a dialogue with Facebook about it.
The agency will also have a discussion with Facebook about how it keeps track of instant messages between users, according to SkAY=ra.
On both matters it is coordinating with the Article 29 Working Party -- an organization made up of a representative from the data protection authority of each E.U. member, the European Data Protection Supervisor and the E.U. Commission -- and the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner in Ireland, where Facebook's international arm is based.
The facial recognition feature isn't just getting attention by privacy watchdogs and advocates in Europe.
U.S. Senator Al Franken, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee's privacy subcommittee, at a July hearing called on Facebook to turn off the feature by default.
However, Facebook doesn't think that is a very good idea. Facebook is an opt-in experience, and people choose to be on Facebook because they want to share with each other, according to Rob Sherman, manager of privacy and public policy.
The importance Facebook places on facial recognition technology was shown in June when it purchased Face.com.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts