Talk of a Sept. 12 iPhone launch triggers trade-in flurry
eBay reports a 70% increase in used iPhone activity
Computerworld - Speculation last week of an impending new iPhone triggered a 70% increase in the number of owners trying to unload their current smartphones, online auctioneer eBay said.
Smartphone trade-in offers at eBay's Instant Sale site during the period July 30-Aug. 1 were 70% higher than the same three-day span of the week before, said eBay on Thursday.
Instant Sale generates quotes for used iPhones, iPads and other electronic devices.
Although Apple is expected to unveil a new iPhone this fall, until recently most experts believed the company would repeat the schedule it used in 2011. That would have marked Oct. 2 as the public launch date and Oct. 12 as the first day of sales.
On July 31, however, a little-known website called iMore.com claimed that the new iPhone will debut Sept. 12. Others, including the Wall Street Journal's All Things D blog, also pegged the Sept. 12 kick-off and, like iMore.com, said the phone will go on sale Sept. 21.
eBay attributed the spike in Instant Sale quotes to the July 31 news of a September launch.
In the three days following the news, eBay's Instant Sales generated 100,000 trade-in offers, with the 16GB iPhone 4S the most frequently jettisoned model.
On Sunday, Instant Sale quoted $299 for a 16GB iPhone 4S able to connect to AT&T's network, or $289 for the same model on Verizon.
It's not unusual for rumors of an Apple iPhone or iPad refresh to lift trade-in volume. Last February, as speculation circulated about a March 7 event Apple had scheduled -- but not divulged its purpose -- iPad owners pushed tablet trade-ins to record levels, said Gazelle, one of several companies that purchase used devices.
Gazelle and its ilk refurbish the devices, then resell them on eBay and Amazon.com, and to wholesalers, some of whom ship them overseas for sale in emerging markets.
Current sellers are trying to get the best price for their used phones, as values usually fall as soon as a vendor shows a new model. Last spring, iPad 2 trade-in values dropped 23% after Apple unveiled the new iPad.
Gazelle's Sunday price for an AT&T 16GB iPhone 4S was $277, while NextWorth, another used smartphone buyer, offered $263 for the same model.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carmakers put Apple's CarPlay in the slow lane
- What matters in the fall smartphone lineup: brand, display size, battery life, LTE
- Why HTC put Windows on its M8 smartphone
- iPhone 5C's China bust raises questions about Apple's pricing for '14 models
- China scrubs Apple's iPad and MacBooks from government buying list
- Navdy's planned heads-up car display works with iPhone or Android
- Circle the date: Apple's iPhone 6 event slated for Sept. 9
- Stable Mac prices fuel reliable profit engine
- Apple will 'set the world on fire' with iPhone 6 sales
- The other Apple economy: $2B in devices on eBay
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- The Cloud BI that IT and Developers Demand Jaspersoft for AWS allows developers and IT professionals to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- AWS and Jaspersoft Disrupt BI TIBCO Jaspersoft for AWS and Amazon Redshift disrupt business intelligence with cost-effective analytics in the cloud. Available by the hour in a pay-as-you-go...
- Cloud BI Demo: Jaspersoft for AWS Watch a 5-minute overview demo of Jaspersoft for AWS and see how to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts