NASA on track to launch astronauts in 5 years
After retiring space shuttles, NASA inks deals with three firms to develop next-generation spacecraft
Computerworld - NASA announced Friday morning that it's on track to once again launch astronauts into space from U.S. soil within five years.
As part of its strategy to launch astronaut-carrying spacecraft again, NASA has inked deals valued at more than $900 million with three U.S.-based commercial companies -- Sierra Nevada, SpaceX and Boeing -- to design and develop next-generation spacecraft technologies.
The companies will build spacecraft for both government and commercial use.
NASA will have the option to work with any or all of the companies and use their spacecraft to send astronauts into space or low Earth orbit, according to Stephanie Covey, a NASA spokesperson.
"Today, we are announcing another critical step toward launching our astronauts from U.S. soil on space systems built by American companies," NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said in a statement. "We have selected three companies that will help keep us on track to end the outsourcing of human spaceflight and create high-paying jobs in Florida and elsewhere across the country."
NASA retired its own fleet of space shuttles in the summer of 2011.
NASA in May entered a new chapter of space flight when a craft built by Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) carried about 1,200 pounds of supplies, including student-designed experiments, food and clothing to the International Space Station.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- Three Best Practices to Help Enterprises Overcome BYOD Challenges The new Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) environment presents challenges for IT managers and business leaders. This paper discusses how IT managers can address those challenges,...
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!