CEO Dick Williams on Webroot's big cloud gamble
CEO Dick Williams on the company's move to SaaS and competing for enterprise customers
CSO - Anti-malware vendor Webroot has bet the company on cloud.
In October of last year, the company stopped selling packaged software and moved to a software-as-a-service (SaaS) model. CEO Dick Williams says the switch improves the customer service model and takes the burden of managing updates off of the end user.
Will that approach help Webroot grow in the ultra-competitive software security market? As part of our ongoing IDG Enterprise CEO Interview Series, IDGE Chief Content Officer John Gallant spoke with Williams about cybercrime, the company's move to SaaS, expansion in the enterprise space, and more.
John Gallant: What is the unique positioning of Webroot in the security market? What makes Webroot different?
Dick Williams: We're taking all the work and hassle out of security, for individuals, for groups of individuals and larger groups of individuals. If you think about it, the security industry is really a lousy business. It's a miserable business in a lot of contexts, but mostly from the context of the actual users, the people who are supposed to be benefitting from it. The security industry is a big industry and yet what's the fastest growing industry in the world?
I assume it would be computer crime.
Cybercrime. It's actually the fastest growing industry in the world, and it's already larger than the security industry in total. And so there are more bad guys now than ever. There's more loss. There's more malicious activity going on. . So you step back from it and you say -- hey, wait a second, we're doing something wrong. The motivation now for a criminal to go online as opposed to stand in front of the bank is pretty significant, because the likelihood that they're going to be able to achieve their aims with a very low risk is very significant.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 5 Reasons To Migrate From Cisco (ACE) to Riverbed Stingray ADC As you consider refreshing your legacy Cisco ACE application delivery infrastructure, consider migrating to the Riverbed® Stingray™ family of products and learn the...
- Monitor Application Performance in Virtualized and Cloud Environments This white paper explains how you can get the visibility you need to manage P2V migrations and cloud performance.
- Microsoft Office 365 Infographic Deliver Microsoft Office 365 up to 33 times faster while using 97% less bandwidth.
- Accelerating the Delivery Microsoft Office 365 Many organizations use Office 365's cloud-based mail, collaboration and communication services as the dominant workload. However, as services move to the cloud, data...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All SaaS White Papers | Webcasts