Hurricane app debuts for free from American Red Cross
Connects to social networks to say 'I'm safe,' share weather data
Computerworld - A new, free hurricane app from the American Red Cross offers location-based NOAA weather alerts and lets users send a one-touch "I'm safe" message via social networks to family and friends in an emergency.
The app became available today, the start of the third month of the Atlantic Ocean hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to Nov. 30. The eastern Pacific Ocean hurricane season starts in mid-May.
Red Cross officials expect the Hurricane app to be popular. The organization's free First Aid app had nearly 600,000 downloads in six weeks.
"We're especially proud of the [Hurricane] app's social features that will help friends and families stay in touch during storms, reducing much of the fear and uncertainty for loved ones and property owners," said Jack McMaster, president of preparedness and health and safety services at the American Red Cross, in a statement.
In addition to the one-touch "I'm safe" message that can be tied to a user's social networks, the app provides weather alerts from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. It's also possible to use it to monitor weather alerts for other locations -- places where family and friends reside, for example.
The app also provides lists of locations of Red Cross emergency shelters and checklists for household emergency plans. It also offers a set of emergency steps for users to take if the wireless connection for a cellphone or tablet is lost.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts