Hurricane app debuts for free from American Red Cross
Connects to social networks to say 'I'm safe,' share weather data
Computerworld - A new, free hurricane app from the American Red Cross offers location-based NOAA weather alerts and lets users send a one-touch "I'm safe" message via social networks to family and friends in an emergency.
The app became available today, the start of the third month of the Atlantic Ocean hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to Nov. 30. The eastern Pacific Ocean hurricane season starts in mid-May.
Red Cross officials expect the Hurricane app to be popular. The organization's free First Aid app had nearly 600,000 downloads in six weeks.
"We're especially proud of the [Hurricane] app's social features that will help friends and families stay in touch during storms, reducing much of the fear and uncertainty for loved ones and property owners," said Jack McMaster, president of preparedness and health and safety services at the American Red Cross, in a statement.
In addition to the one-touch "I'm safe" message that can be tied to a user's social networks, the app provides weather alerts from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. It's also possible to use it to monitor weather alerts for other locations -- places where family and friends reside, for example.
The app also provides lists of locations of Red Cross emergency shelters and checklists for household emergency plans. It also offers a set of emergency steps for users to take if the wireless connection for a cellphone or tablet is lost.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!