Launch of Nexus Q streaming device delayed, as Google adds features
The company did not specify when the Nexus Q will now ship
IDG News Service - The launch of Google's Nexus Q media streaming device has been postponed, and those who preordered will get the device free, the company said on Tuesday.
Google announced the circular Nexus Q streaming device in June at the Google I/O conference in San Francisco. The device is designed to stream movies and music from the cloud and will compete with direct Apple TV.
The company started taking orders soon after for the $299 device, with shipping scheduled for July.
In an email to customers who had preordered the device, Google said it has decided to postpone the consumer launch of Nexus Q while it works on "making it even better."
The industrial design and hardware were met with great enthusiasm, according to the email. But the company also heard initial feedback from users that they want Nexus Q to do even more than it does today, it said in the email, a copy of which was provided by Google.
The company did not give a specific date when shipments will begin. It also didn't specify which new features it was adding to the device which has been criticized by some reviewers for, among other things, being too expensive.
A free preview of the device at Google I/O has been extended to people who preordered, who will now receive the device free. "To thank you for your early interest, we'd like to extend the Nexus Q preview to consumers who pre-ordered and send you a free device," the Nexus Q team said in the email.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!