Dropbox blames employee account breach for spam attack
The company said it plans to introduce new protections to guard against account compromises
IDG News Service - Dropbox said Tuesday one of its employee's accounts was compromised, leading to a raft of spam last month that irritated users of the cloud-storage service.
A stolen password was used to access the employee's account, which contained "a project document with user email addresses," Dropbox engineer Aditya Agarwal wrote on the company's blog.
"We believe this improper access is what led to the spam," Agarwal wrote. "We're sorry about this, and have put additional controls in place to help make sure it doesn't happen again."
The company also found that usernames and passwords that had been stolen from other websites were used to access "a small number of Dropbox accounts," Agarwal wrote. Hackers commonly try username and password combinations from breaches on other web services in hopes people use the same combination, a common security problem.
The spam, written in German, English and Dutch, advertised gambling websites and seemed to affect only European users. Many of those users wrote on the company's forum they had used a unique email address solely for Dropbox, leading to suspicions the company had been hacked.
Dropbox brought in an outside security team to investigate, but maintained on July 21 that it had found no intrusion of its internal systems or other compromised accounts.
In light of the breach, Dropbox said it plans in a few weeks to introduce two-factor authentication, such as a system that would send a temporary code to a person's phone.
Other planned upgrades include a new page that will show logs of user account activity and other "automated mechanisms to help identify suspicious activity," Agarwal wrote. Users may also be prompted to change their password if it has not been changed in a long time.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pivotal Melds Big Data and Platform-as-a-service The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information. Access to data and collaboration are at the heart...
- The Pivotal Big Data Suite- Reducing the Risks of Big Data The explosion of big data and the rapid evolution of big data tools and technologies is challenging IT to meet the demands of...
- The Principles of the Business Data Lake The Business Data Lake is a new approach to information management, analytics and reporting that better matches the culture of business and better...
- Start with a Data Lake. End with Business Value. Pivotal Big Data Suite enables companies to store all data, accelerate processing and most importantly increase the amount of data being analyzed and...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts