Google adds Google+ video Hangouts to Gmail
CEO Larry Page's plan to 'transform' company with Google+ integration takes another step
Computerworld - Google is adding the Google+ Hangout feature to Gmail, the company's popular cloud-based email service.
The Google+ Hangout feature, which allows users to video chat with up to nine people, replaces Gmail's older peer-to-peer video chat feature.
"Unlike the old video chat, which was based on peer-to-peer technology, Hangouts utilize the power of Google's network to deliver higher reliability and enhanced quality," said Fred Brewin, a Google+ product manager, in a blog post yesterday.
"You'll be able to chat with all the same people you did before and, in fact, with Hangouts you'll now be able to reach them not only when they are using Gmail but also if they are on Google+ in the browser or on their Android or iOS devices," Brewin added.
Google Monday began a gradual rollout of Hangouts for Gmail to users of the hosted email service, Brewin said.
The new service will also allow multiple Gmail users to view YouTube videos together, collaborate on Google documents and share their screen view, he added.
The addition of Hangouts to Gmail is part of Google's overall effort to integrate features of the Google+ social network into other Google products.
"Our ultimate ambition is to transform the overall Google experience, making it beautifully simple, almost automagical, because we understand what you want and can deliver it instantly," Page said at the time. "This means baking identity and sharing into all of our products so that we build a real relationship with our users. Sharing on the Web will be like sharing in real life across all your stuff."
Just weeks later, the company announced an integration of Google+ and the Google Apps cloud-based office suite.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Google rolls out new +Post 'social' ads
- Google details its Project Ara modular smartphone
- Google pushes I/O registration deadline back to April 15
- Google looks to push Glass into the enterprise
- Google touts extra encryption for Gmail, remains mum on other apps
- Google patches $310K worth of Chrome, Chrome OS bugs
- Google slashes Drive prices by up to 80%
- Chrome users attack Google for zapping unsanctioned Windows add-ons
- Google postpones add-on 'kill switch' for Chrome on Windows
- Google yanks option to restore Chrome's old-style new tab page, riles users all over again
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Social Media White Papers |
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!