Oracle buys Xsigo for software-defined networking
The move comes shortly after VMWare's announced plans to buy Xsigo competitor Nicera
IDG News Service - Oracle said Monday it has inked a deal to buy software-defined networking vendor Xsigo Systems, in a move that will support Oracle's ongoing foray into cloud computing. Terms of the acquisition, which is expected to close within a few months, were not disclosed.
The announcement comes a week after VMWare said it would buy Xsigo competitor Nicira for US$1.26 billion.
Software-defined networking has become one of the hottest topics in the networking industry of late.
Xsigo's technology can create virtualized pools of networking capacity, allowing resources to be delivered dynamically according to computing needs, and used much more efficiently, according to its website.
Its customers include Verizon, Softbank and British Telecom.
Xsigo's tools will be combined with Oracle's Oracle VM server virtualization technology, according to a statement.
This year, Oracle began moving aggressively into cloud computing with a public cloud service that will deliver on-demand business applications as well as a Java PaaS (platform as a service) and cloud database.
Oracle's approach to cloud computing relies heavily on virtualization. While the Xsigo acquisition seems focused on increasing performance and cost savings within Oracle's data centers, the vendor is also seeking to use virtualization as a point of differentiation.
For example, Oracle CEO Larry Ellison [cq] has criticized the multitenant software architectures used by many cloud vendors, which allow a number of customers to share a single application instance.
On Oracle's cloud, applications get their own virtual machines, both for more flexibility over upgrades and for additional security, Ellison said during an event earlier this year. "Modern virtual technology is how we offer safety."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts