Motorola scores win against Microsoft in German patent ruling
The court postponed a ruling in a second case between Microsoft and Motorola
IDG News Service - Motorola does not infringe a Microsoft patent related to technology for monitoring events in mobile phones, the lower regional court of Munich ruled on Thursday, according to a court spokesman.
Microsoft sued Motorola Mobility in Germany, alleging that Motorola infringed a patent concerning an "event architecture for system management in an operating system." The patent covers technology for monitoring events, such as battery charge level, alarms, GPS coordinates and storage space. It provides that information to applications that use it for displays or other purposes.
"Today's decision is among many cases still pending and does not impact two injunctions Microsoft has already been awarded against Motorola Mobility products in the U.S. and Germany," Microsoft said in a statement, adding that the company remains confident in their claims and planned to appeal today's ruling.
Motorola did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Munich court was also set to rule Thursday in another Microsoft and Motorola case in which Microsoft alleged that Motorola infringed a patent on a "soft input panel system and method," a technology that sits between an input method, like a hardwired keyboard or a touchscreen keyboard, available or installable on a device.
The court postponed the ruling in this case to September, the court's spokesman said.
Loek covers all things tech for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to email@example.com
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!