Apple misses revenue target
Apple also disclosed that iOS 6 will arrive in the fall, but there was no word on its next iPhone
IDG News Service - Apple on Tuesday reported revenue for the quarter just ended that was lower than analysts had expected, despite a big jump in iPad sales.
At the same time, as if to cushion the blow, Apple said its new Mountain Lion OS will ship on Wednesday and that the next version of its mobile operating system, iOS 6, will arrive in the fall.
Apple sold 17 million iPads in the quarter ended June 30, up 84% from the same period last year, the company announced Tuesday. IPhone sales also increased, by 28% to 26.0 million.
That wasn't enough to match the sales forecasts of financial analysts, however. Apple's revenue for the quarter, the third of its fiscal year, was $35 billion, up from $28.6 billion a year earlier, but less than the consensus analyst forecast of $37.2 billion, according to a poll by Thomson Reuters.
Net profit for the quarter was $8.8 billion, up from $7.3 billion last year, Apple said.
"We're thrilled with record sales of 17 million iPads in the June quarter," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement. "We've also just updated the entire MacBook line, will release Mountain Lion tomorrow and will be launching iOS 6 this Fall."
Rumors have swirled that Apple will release its next iPhone later this year, but Apple's statement didn't confirm that Tuesday, despite the news about iOS 6.
Apple also reported that it sold 4.0 million Macs, up 2% from last year, and 6.8 million iPods, which was down 10%.
The company also announced that it will pay a dividend of $2.65 per share to its stockholders.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts