VMware to acquire OpenFlow pioneer Nicira for $1.26 billion
Nicira helped define the emerging field of software-defined networking
IDG News Service - Continuing its push to virtualize all aspects of the data center, VMware is acquiring software-defined networking firm Nicira for $1.26 billion, the companies announced Monday.
"I believe we have the same opportunity to do for networking what we've already done for servers and many other parts of the data center," Steve Herrod, VMware's CTO, wrote in a blog post about the deal.
VMware will fold Nicira's core technology, called Open vSwitch, into its own portfolio of virtual networking software, VMware said.
Nicira's software creates an abstraction layer between servers and networking gear, allowing organizations to decouple the network topology from the equipment, creating virtualized pools of networking capability. Its software supports a wide variety of network interface cards, switches, appliances, networking APIs (application programming interfaces) and fabric types.
VMware will encourage Nicira employees to continue working on open-source networking projects, it said. Some of Nicira's employees led the development of the OpenFlow software-defined networking protocol and were also involved with the OpenStack Quantum networking software.
VMware will pay $1.05 billion in cash plus $210 million of assumed unvested equity awards to purchase Nicira, which was founded in 2007 and is based in Palo Alto, California.
The deal is expected to close by the end of the year, pending regulatory approvals and other closing conditions.
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86 Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few.
- Virtual Desktop Must-haves: Cost-effectiveness, Scalability and Security Employees today expect to take their work anywhere and on any device. This BYOD mindset poses a dilemma for organizations that want to... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts