VMware to acquire OpenFlow pioneer Nicira for $1.26 billion
Nicira helped define the emerging field of software-defined networking
IDG News Service - Continuing its push to virtualize all aspects of the data center, VMware is acquiring software-defined networking firm Nicira for $1.26 billion, the companies announced Monday.
"I believe we have the same opportunity to do for networking what we've already done for servers and many other parts of the data center," Steve Herrod, VMware's CTO, wrote in a blog post about the deal.
VMware will fold Nicira's core technology, called Open vSwitch, into its own portfolio of virtual networking software, VMware said.
Nicira's software creates an abstraction layer between servers and networking gear, allowing organizations to decouple the network topology from the equipment, creating virtualized pools of networking capability. Its software supports a wide variety of network interface cards, switches, appliances, networking APIs (application programming interfaces) and fabric types.
VMware will encourage Nicira employees to continue working on open-source networking projects, it said. Some of Nicira's employees led the development of the OpenFlow software-defined networking protocol and were also involved with the OpenStack Quantum networking software.
VMware will pay $1.05 billion in cash plus $210 million of assumed unvested equity awards to purchase Nicira, which was founded in 2007 and is based in Palo Alto, California.
The deal is expected to close by the end of the year, pending regulatory approvals and other closing conditions.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- 5 Reasons To Migrate From Cisco (ACE) to Riverbed Stingray ADC As you consider refreshing your legacy Cisco ACE application delivery infrastructure, consider migrating to the Riverbed® Stingray™ family of products and learn the...
- The Sky's the Limit for Eclipse Aerospace and VCE This case study highlights how Eclipse was able to unlock critical IP, support business growth, dial up or down resources without having to...
- Implementing Agile Systems Management in Cloud and Virtual Infrastructure The solution to the obstacle stopping enterprises from realizing the benefits of cloud computing- how to extend existing enterprise management applications to the...
- Maximize Efficiency in Your Virtual Environment with Converged Solutions Efficiency is the key to success in IT, especially in a virtual environment. But traditional infrastructure management and inflexible architectures can be costly...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts