VMware to acquire OpenFlow pioneer Nicira for $1.26 billion
Nicira helped define the emerging field of software-defined networking
IDG News Service - Continuing its push to virtualize all aspects of the data center, VMware is acquiring software-defined networking firm Nicira for $1.26 billion, the companies announced Monday.
"I believe we have the same opportunity to do for networking what we've already done for servers and many other parts of the data center," Steve Herrod, VMware's CTO, wrote in a blog post about the deal.
VMware will fold Nicira's core technology, called Open vSwitch, into its own portfolio of virtual networking software, VMware said.
Nicira's software creates an abstraction layer between servers and networking gear, allowing organizations to decouple the network topology from the equipment, creating virtualized pools of networking capability. Its software supports a wide variety of network interface cards, switches, appliances, networking APIs (application programming interfaces) and fabric types.
VMware will encourage Nicira employees to continue working on open-source networking projects, it said. Some of Nicira's employees led the development of the OpenFlow software-defined networking protocol and were also involved with the OpenStack Quantum networking software.
VMware will pay $1.05 billion in cash plus $210 million of assumed unvested equity awards to purchase Nicira, which was founded in 2007 and is based in Palo Alto, California.
The deal is expected to close by the end of the year, pending regulatory approvals and other closing conditions.
- Virtualization Security Is Not an Oxymoron While the business benefits of virtualization are clear, the virtualized world makes your organization vulnerable to an array of new cybersecurity threats.
- Security for Virtualization In the rush to implement virtualization, security has become second. So while the business benefits are clear, the risks are less well documented...
- Enabling Ubiquitous Visibility in Virtualized Environments Enterprises are rapidly adopting virtualization for dynamic service delivery and service management agility. IT challenges already exist in virtual environments and will only...
- ESG - Economic Value Validation - Riverbed Performance Management: Cascade Top 10 Most Important IT Priorities
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts