HTC files counterclaims against Apple with two acquired patents
The two patents were assigned to Hewlett-Packard and Electronic Data Systems
IDG News Service - HTC filed a counterclaim before a court in Florida stating that Apple infringed on two of its patents originally assigned to Hewlett-Packard and Electronic Data Systems, a company that HP acquired in 2008.
The Taiwanese phone maker is being sued for patent infringement by Apple in the court along with Motorola Mobility.
HTC claimed in a filing on Tuesday to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida it has been assigned all rights, title and interest of U.S. Patent No. 7,571,221 (the '221 patent) entitled "Installation of network services in an embedded network server," which was assigned to HP.
It also claims all rights, title, and interest to U.S. Patent No. 7,120,684 (the '684 patent), entitled "Method and system for central management of a computer network," which was assigned to Electronic Data Systems.
HP has a program for license or sale of its more than 4,000 patents.
HTC has claimed that Apple's products and services including but not limited to Apple Remote Desktop, Apple Profile Manager, and/or products and services that use Apple Remote Desktop and Apple Profile Manager infringe on claims of the '684 patent.
Apple also has infringed, according to HTC, one or more claims of the '221 patent in consumer products using the iOS or OS X operating systems, which contain embedded network servers and software and services such as Newsstand. The infringing products include Macs, mobile communications devices such as various versions of the iPhone, and mobile computing devices including versions of the iPad, it said.
Apple could not be immediately reached for comment.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts