HTC files counterclaims against Apple with two acquired patents
The two patents were assigned to Hewlett-Packard and Electronic Data Systems
IDG News Service - HTC filed a counterclaim before a court in Florida stating that Apple infringed on two of its patents originally assigned to Hewlett-Packard and Electronic Data Systems, a company that HP acquired in 2008.
The Taiwanese phone maker is being sued for patent infringement by Apple in the court along with Motorola Mobility.
HTC claimed in a filing on Tuesday to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida it has been assigned all rights, title and interest of U.S. Patent No. 7,571,221 (the '221 patent) entitled "Installation of network services in an embedded network server," which was assigned to HP.
It also claims all rights, title, and interest to U.S. Patent No. 7,120,684 (the '684 patent), entitled "Method and system for central management of a computer network," which was assigned to Electronic Data Systems.
HP has a program for license or sale of its more than 4,000 patents.
HTC has claimed that Apple's products and services including but not limited to Apple Remote Desktop, Apple Profile Manager, and/or products and services that use Apple Remote Desktop and Apple Profile Manager infringe on claims of the '684 patent.
Apple also has infringed, according to HTC, one or more claims of the '221 patent in consumer products using the iOS or OS X operating systems, which contain embedded network servers and software and services such as Newsstand. The infringing products include Macs, mobile communications devices such as various versions of the iPhone, and mobile computing devices including versions of the iPad, it said.
Apple could not be immediately reached for comment.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control.
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
All Legal White Papers |