Google+ outpaces Facebook in customer satisfaction
Facebook may be the big dog on block, but Google+ makes users a lot happier
Computerworld - Facebook may be the biggest social network in the world, but rival Google+ wins when it comes to user satisfaction.
Facebook users have become increasingly unsatisfied, according to a report from the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), which worked on the survey in conjunction with ForeSee, a customer experience analytics firm. Actually, Facebook's user satisfaction dropped 8% over the last year to record a 61 on a 100-point scale.
The report also noted that Facebook is not just the lowest-scoring social network, it also set a new record-low score for the social media category.
And as Facebook struggles with customer satisfaction, one-year-old rival Google+ made its first appearance in the survey, scoring a 78 out of 100.
"Facebook and Google+ are competing on two critical fronts: customer experience and market penetration," Larry Freed, president and CEO of ForeSee, said in a written statement. "Google+ handily wins the former, and Facebook handily wins the latter, for now."
The question, he added, is how much customer satisfaction matters for Facebook, since it so heavily dominates the social networking world with 800 million users worldwide. "But I expect Google to leverage its multiple properties and mobile capabilities to attract users at a rapid pace," said Freed. "If Facebook doesn't feel the pressure to improve customer satisfaction now, that may soon change."
Ezra Gottheil, an analyst with Technology Business Research, said he's not surprised that Google+, after being around just one year, earned better customer satisfaction ratings than Facebook.
"I would say that Google+ users are much more self-selected," he added. "For most people, Facebook is kind of a requirement, whether you like its style or not. You stay with Google+ because you like its style."
Basically, people use Google+ because they like its features, while some use Facebook simply because they see it as the best way to connect with friends and family. "I think some are outgrowing [Facebook], others are getting over their early infatuation, some are growing bored, and an increasing percentage are members out of necessity, because other people expect it, or they need it for some special offer or discount," said Gottheil. "
According to the report, the entire social media category slipped 1.4% to 69 this past year.
The category also has expanded over the past year.
Google+ isn't the only social network being rated for the first time this year. According to the report, the same goes for Pinterest, which scored a 69, LinkedIn, which had a 63, and Twitter, which garnered a 64. ACSI noted that LinkedIn and Twitter are considered low scorers.
Wikipedia tied Google+ at 78 to lead the category for a third straight year. Google-owned YouTube slipped a point to score 73.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
- As Google+ nears 3rd anniversary, where does it go from here?
- Why the social networks are falling apart
- With Gundotra out, changes likely for Google+
- Google+ creator Vic Gundotra is leaving Google
- Google+ popularity jumps with 540M monthly users
- Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
- Getting around Google+: Expand your circles -- and your influence
- Getting around Google+: A guide to the basics
- Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
- 500K users flee dead-RSS-walking Google Reader for Feedly
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts