Court dismisses Novell antitrust case against Microsoft
Novell did not provide sufficient evidence to prove Microsoft's alleged antitrust behavior, the court concludes
IDG News Service - Microsoft has won a motion to dismiss a seven-year-old, $1.3 billion lawsuit from Novell charging Microsoft with illegal antitrust actions around its Windows 95 release.
In his ruling, U.S. District Judge Frederick Motz granted Microsoft's motion to dismiss a case first brought by Novell in 2004.
"Although Novell presented evidence from which a jury could have found that Microsoft engaged in aggressive conduct, perhaps to monopolize or attempt to monopolize the applications market, it did not present evidence sufficient for a jury to find that Microsoft committed any acts that violated in maintaining its monopoly in the operating systems market," Motz stated in the ruling.
Novell had appealed the case several times, most recently last year in the U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City, Utah, which resulted in December in a hung jury. That was when Microsoft filed a motion under Rule 50 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure to dismiss the case.
In its suit, Novell claimed Microsoft had intentionally withheld important Windows 95 APIs (application programming interfaces) prior to the launch of the operating system, causing Novell to lose time preparing its office suite for the new OS. As a result, Novell argued, Novell's office suite could not be released in time for Windows 95 and the company lost crucial market share to Microsoft's own office software.
Bill Gates, CEO of Microsoft during the release of Windows 95, countered last year in testimony that Novell just did not prepare quickly enough for the rollout of Windows 95.
Novell has not immediately responded to a query of if it plans to appeal the ruling.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Legal White Papers | Webcasts