Nvidia investigates claims that its online stores were hacked
Nvidia investigates whether a successful hacker attack against several of its websites also affected its online stores
IDG News Service - Graphics chip manufacturer Nvidia is investigating claims that hackers have compromised its online stores as part of a larger attack that affected several of its websites.
"Nvidia is investigating whether the store sites were hacked," Bea Longworth, Nvidia's senior PR manager for EMEAI (Europe, Middle East, Africa, India), said Monday via email. "We don't have any evidence that credit card data or customer lists have been put at risk, but we're investigating."
The news follows confirmed compromises of some of the company's other websites last week. "Nvidia Forums, Nvidia Developer Zone and Nvidia Research were compromised in what appears to have been a breach by third parties seeking sensitive information," Longworth said.
On Thursday, Nvidia revealed that hackers had gained access to the Nvidia Forums database and stole usernames, email addresses, hashed passwords and user profile information.
On the same day, the company also took its Developer Zone and Nvidia Research websites offline over suspicions of compromise. Those suspicions were confirmed on Friday, when a hacker posted hashed passwords for a proportion of DevZone users on a public website.
Nvidia was not the only company forced to deal with data leaks that resulted from hacker attacks during the past week.
On Tuesday, the company operating Formspring, a website where users can post and answer questions, disabled its users' passwords after 420,000 password hashes were posted on a forum. The company later confirmed that someone broke into one of its development servers and stole user account information from a production database.
On Thursday, a hacker group published a list of 450,000 log-in credentials that it claimed to have stolen from the database of an unnamed Yahoo service. Yahoo later confirmed that the log-in credentials were from its Yahoo! Contributor Network service.
- Adding WOW to the WAN WAN optimization techniques tweak bandwidth for better network performance and more.
- The High-Performance WAN Find out what are some of the top problems associated with large WANs and the technologies typically used to solve them.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All LAN/WAN White Papers | Webcasts