Bank of America tops 23 banks as best in online experience
Design, organization continues to be most important predictor for a good online customer experience
Computerworld - Bank of America topped a list of 23 large or regional banks to be named the best in online customer experience best practices in consumer banking by Keynote Competitive Research.
Additionally, Keynote said BB&T ranked number one in a bank website marketing study that ranked the fastest and most reliable retail banking websites in the U.S. The study looked at the business and technical effectiveness of bank marketing websites.
In that study, U.S. Bank ranked first for site reliability while Wells Fargo ranked first for responsiveness (speed).
Keynote Competitive Research, part of Keynote Systems, a measurement and testing services provider based in San Mateo, Calif., measured the performance of the bank's online customer sites based on these criteria: functionality, privacy, security, quality, availability and ease of use.
For example, Keynote's "ease of use" trends include banks reworking error reporting, repositioning key account information and expanding the use of dynamic pages, all to reduce the clicks required to learn timely information and complete tasks. Digital customer service options are also expanding, with banks rolling out live chat within online banking and embracing Twitter.
Keynote's "Banker Scorecard," in its 13th year, placed Bank of America first in all four of its user experience categories. Citibank came in second, followed by Wells Fargo, which tied with BofA in the functionality category. The top three banks were followed by Chase, Capital One, BB&T, M&I Bank, E*Trade Bank, PNC Bank, and Citizens Bank rounding out the top 10.
Keynote scores banks on a scale of 1 to 100. BofA scored 87 points.
More than 300 subcategories of criteria describing customer-experience best practices were considered, according to Keynote.
Besides the four main categories, BofA also took first place for three tasks: Look up information, transact, and Learn and Plan. Citibank won for open account and Chase won in the "get service" category.
"Keynote's ongoing user testing and industry research has identified changes in how consumers prefer to learn about products and manage their accounts online," said Chris Musto, general manager of Keynote Competitive Research. "Through our Scorecard research, we see that a set of banks are responding to these consumer preferences by reconceiving information architecture, how consumers can interact with site content and how consumers can engage with customer service."
Keynote's banker scorecard tracks several financial services industry trends, including mobile banking, which continues to grow in number with 13 banks now offering SMS, mobile and at least two smartphone apps and a growing number of smartphone apps supporting remote check deposit.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Financial IT in Computerworld's Financial IT Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Something-something “LASER” something-something-something.
The MtGox Bitcoin exchange is bankrupt. Not a huge surprise, but insiders are also alleging chronic incompetence within the company, flowing from the CEO, Mark Karpeles. Supposed hackers have also leaked some PHP code that appears to substantiate those allegations. But could it all be an elaborate ruse to steal customers'
MtGox Co., Ltd. is now aiming for "civil rehabilitation" in a Tokyo District Court (similar to Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the U.S.).
In IT Blogwatch, bloggers release the frickin’ ill-tempered, mutated sea bass.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Accelerating Speed to Market in the Highly Competitive Automotive Industry
- This White Paper discusses how an Enterprise Project Portfolio Management solution optimizes project analysis, management, reporting and risk mitigation processes to accelerate new...
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business
- View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Financial Security: What smaller Institutions can learn from DDoS attacks on big banks
- Since last fall, several waves of distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks have targeted major players in the U.S. banking industry. JPMorgan Chase,...
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software
- See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in... All Financial IT White Papers
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
- Top 8 Communications Tools for Small Businesses Powerful technology is available to help your small business improve its communications with customers, employees and suppliers. View this free On-Demand Webcast produced...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- All Financial IT Webcasts