Bank of America tops 23 banks as best in online experience
Design, organization continues to be most important predictor for a good online customer experience
Computerworld - Bank of America topped a list of 23 large or regional banks to be named the best in online customer experience best practices in consumer banking by Keynote Competitive Research.
Additionally, Keynote said BB&T ranked number one in a bank website marketing study that ranked the fastest and most reliable retail banking websites in the U.S. The study looked at the business and technical effectiveness of bank marketing websites.
In that study, U.S. Bank ranked first for site reliability while Wells Fargo ranked first for responsiveness (speed).
Keynote Competitive Research, part of Keynote Systems, a measurement and testing services provider based in San Mateo, Calif., measured the performance of the bank's online customer sites based on these criteria: functionality, privacy, security, quality, availability and ease of use.
For example, Keynote's "ease of use" trends include banks reworking error reporting, repositioning key account information and expanding the use of dynamic pages, all to reduce the clicks required to learn timely information and complete tasks. Digital customer service options are also expanding, with banks rolling out live chat within online banking and embracing Twitter.
Keynote's "Banker Scorecard," in its 13th year, placed Bank of America first in all four of its user experience categories. Citibank came in second, followed by Wells Fargo, which tied with BofA in the functionality category. The top three banks were followed by Chase, Capital One, BB&T, M&I Bank, E*Trade Bank, PNC Bank, and Citizens Bank rounding out the top 10.
Keynote scores banks on a scale of 1 to 100. BofA scored 87 points.
More than 300 subcategories of criteria describing customer-experience best practices were considered, according to Keynote.
Besides the four main categories, BofA also took first place for three tasks: Look up information, transact, and Learn and Plan. Citibank won for open account and Chase won in the "get service" category.
"Keynote's ongoing user testing and industry research has identified changes in how consumers prefer to learn about products and manage their accounts online," said Chris Musto, general manager of Keynote Competitive Research. "Through our Scorecard research, we see that a set of banks are responding to these consumer preferences by reconceiving information architecture, how consumers can interact with site content and how consumers can engage with customer service."
Keynote's banker scorecard tracks several financial services industry trends, including mobile banking, which continues to grow in number with 13 banks now offering SMS, mobile and at least two smartphone apps and a growing number of smartphone apps supporting remote check deposit.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Financial IT in Computerworld's Financial IT Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Crafty hackers hack craft stores -- again.
Michaels Stores (NYSE:MIK) has finally confirmed the details of the point-of-sale hack revealed in January. It's unclear what's taken them so long -- the company claims the hack was "highly sophisticated," but everyone uses a blah-blah phrase like that.
Your humble blogwatcher notes that the problem persisted for more than a month after the news first broke. smh.
In IT Blogwatch, bloggers are aghast that, for the second time, the company's POS was hacked -- lasting almost nine months.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment
- An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Time-to-Market: The Need for Speed in the Automotive Industry
- Bringing new vehicles to market quickly has never been more challenging. To bring new models to market on-time and on budget, automakers need...
- Application Rationalization Scorecard: Analysis to Action
- This paper details a proven method, used most recently to evaluate a financial services application portfolio. At the method's core is the scorecard....
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
All Financial IT White Papers
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control.
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- All Financial IT Webcasts