Nvidia probes breach of hashed passwords
Nvidia said the information released about users, however, was already public in its forum
IDG News Service - Nvidia said it is investigating the release of encrypted passwords from its user forums, another significant data breach following recent compromises at Yahoo and LinkedIn.
A group calling itself Team Apollo posted on Pastebin around 800 records, which included user names, email addresses and encrypted passwords plus the profile information of users. Nvidia said the profile information, which may include a person's age, birth date, gender and location was already public on the forums.
Nvidia said it shut down its forums earlier this month when suspicious activity was detected. "We are employing additional security measures to minimize the impact of future attacks," the company said in a statement on Thursday.
Nvidia noted that the encrypted passwords included a random value know as "salt" that makes it more difficult to convert the hash back into a plain-text password using specialist software programs.
Users who have the same password for other websites should change it, Nvidia advised. Forum users will receive an email with a temporary password and instructions on how they can reset their account, the company said.
Yahoo confirmed last week that 450,000 unencrypted passwords and user names were stolen from its Contributor Network. The information, obtained by a hacker group called D33Ds Company, claimed the breach was caused by a database vulnerability.
About 5.8 million encrypted passwords from LinkedIn were released last month. The social-networking site said since the breach it would salt passwords as an added security measure.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Taneja -- Converging Branch IT Infrastructure The Right Way - Riverbed SteelFusion In this Taneja Group Product Profile we review Riverbed's SteelFusion (formerly Granite), and examine how it marries together multiple technical advances to deliver...
- Top 5 must-haves to update your WAN optimization solution Read this paper to learn more how WAN optimization offerings need to evolve to provide coverage for these and other business-driven IT trends...
- The ROI of Application Performance Management This white paper reviews ten business scenarios in which application performance management solutions are used to monitor applications across the WAN deliver a...
- Charting a Path from the Network to the Multi-Cloud Gain a step-step approach to consider as you integrate your networking requirements with cloud-based resources.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All LAN/WAN White Papers | Webcasts