Nvidia probes breach of hashed passwords
Nvidia said the information released about users, however, was already public in its forum
IDG News Service - Nvidia said it is investigating the release of encrypted passwords from its user forums, another significant data breach following recent compromises at Yahoo and LinkedIn.
A group calling itself Team Apollo posted on Pastebin around 800 records, which included user names, email addresses and encrypted passwords plus the profile information of users. Nvidia said the profile information, which may include a person's age, birth date, gender and location was already public on the forums.
Nvidia said it shut down its forums earlier this month when suspicious activity was detected. "We are employing additional security measures to minimize the impact of future attacks," the company said in a statement on Thursday.
Nvidia noted that the encrypted passwords included a random value know as "salt" that makes it more difficult to convert the hash back into a plain-text password using specialist software programs.
Users who have the same password for other websites should change it, Nvidia advised. Forum users will receive an email with a temporary password and instructions on how they can reset their account, the company said.
Yahoo confirmed last week that 450,000 unencrypted passwords and user names were stolen from its Contributor Network. The information, obtained by a hacker group called D33Ds Company, claimed the breach was caused by a database vulnerability.
About 5.8 million encrypted passwords from LinkedIn were released last month. The social-networking site said since the breach it would salt passwords as an added security measure.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Adding WOW to the WAN WAN optimization techniques tweak bandwidth for better network performance and more.
- The High-Performance WAN Find out what are some of the top problems associated with large WANs and the technologies typically used to solve them.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All LAN/WAN White Papers | Webcasts