Acer to offer free Windows 8 upgrades on some ultrabooks
Acer will refund the small fee Microsoft is charging consumers to upgrade Windows 7 PCs to Windows 8 Pro
IDG News Service - Acer is offering a free upgrade to Windows 8 on some ultrabook models, saying it will refund the upgrade fee being charged by Microsoft on certain Windows 7 PC models purchased by buyers.
Acer will refund consumers who purchase the Aspire S3, Aspire S5, Aspire M3 and Aspire M5 ultrabook models between June 2 this year and Jan. 31 next year. Users will have to pay Microsoft for the upgrade, but will then be refunded by Acer via a claim website.
The offer is valid in 36 countries in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, but not in the U.S., Canada or other Asian countries. Acer representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment on whether the offer would be available in other countries.
Microsoft is charging customers US$14.99 for users to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro on qualified PC models. The fee varies based on region -- for example, Microsoft is charging AAPS14.99 (US$23) to U.K. customers for the Windows 8 upgrades. PC makers are certifying computers as being upgradeable to Windows 8.
Microsoft has also announced a separate upgrade program in which existing PCs running Windows XP, Vista or 7 OSes can be upgraded to Windows 8 for $39.99. Those PCs do not qualify for the Acer offer.
No other PC maker has announced such a program yet, and Acer's offer could be a small incentive for users to buy its PCs over rival brands.
The PC industry is reeling as buyers redirect money to purchase tablets and smartphones. Worldwide PC shipments totaled 87.5 million units in the second quarter, a decline of 0.1 percent compared to the same quarter last year, according to numbers released by Gartner this week. Research firm IDC expects a rough third quarter and possible recovery in the fourth quarter.
Acer was the world's largest PC maker behind Hewlett-Packard and Lenovo, with PC shipments growing by 3.6 percent year-over-year to 9.6 million units.
Countries eligible for Acer's offer include Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and U.K.
- Perspective: Microsoft risks security reputation ruin by retiring XP
- Microsoft plans to patch critical under-attack IE bug next week
- Microsoft reaches RTM milestone for Windows 8.1 update
- OS upgrades: Cheap is better than pricey, free is better than cheap
- No special treatment for China on XP, patches end April 8 in the PRC, too
- Microsoft ships Office 2013 SP1 the old-fashioned way
- Microsoft's 'go-low' play puts Windows revenue on the line
- Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols: Windows 7 lives!
- Users mock Microsoft for asking their help on XP-to-Windows 8.1 upgrades
- Microsoft concedes Windows 8.1 needs more for mouse, keyboard customers
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts