Acer to offer free Windows 8 upgrades on some ultrabooks
Acer will refund the small fee Microsoft is charging consumers to upgrade Windows 7 PCs to Windows 8 Pro
IDG News Service - Acer is offering a free upgrade to Windows 8 on some ultrabook models, saying it will refund the upgrade fee being charged by Microsoft on certain Windows 7 PC models purchased by buyers.
Acer will refund consumers who purchase the Aspire S3, Aspire S5, Aspire M3 and Aspire M5 ultrabook models between June 2 this year and Jan. 31 next year. Users will have to pay Microsoft for the upgrade, but will then be refunded by Acer via a claim website.
The offer is valid in 36 countries in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, but not in the U.S., Canada or other Asian countries. Acer representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment on whether the offer would be available in other countries.
Microsoft is charging customers US$14.99 for users to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro on qualified PC models. The fee varies based on region -- for example, Microsoft is charging AAPS14.99 (US$23) to U.K. customers for the Windows 8 upgrades. PC makers are certifying computers as being upgradeable to Windows 8.
Microsoft has also announced a separate upgrade program in which existing PCs running Windows XP, Vista or 7 OSes can be upgraded to Windows 8 for $39.99. Those PCs do not qualify for the Acer offer.
No other PC maker has announced such a program yet, and Acer's offer could be a small incentive for users to buy its PCs over rival brands.
The PC industry is reeling as buyers redirect money to purchase tablets and smartphones. Worldwide PC shipments totaled 87.5 million units in the second quarter, a decline of 0.1 percent compared to the same quarter last year, according to numbers released by Gartner this week. Research firm IDC expects a rough third quarter and possible recovery in the fourth quarter.
Acer was the world's largest PC maker behind Hewlett-Packard and Lenovo, with PC shipments growing by 3.6 percent year-over-year to 9.6 million units.
Countries eligible for Acer's offer include Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and U.K.
- Windows' new normal shows software-as-a-service ambitions
- Microsoft extends Windows 8.1 Update migration deadline for business
- Microsoft puts the squeeze on Windows to shoehorn it into 16GB devices
- Google quashes 31 vulnerabilities, restores Metro mode 'steppers' with Chrome 34
- Microsoft drags customers 'kicking and screaming' into its world of faster updates
- Windows 8.1 Update deep-dive review: An OS that makes more sense
- Microsoft suspends Windows 8.1 Update release to businesses
- Windows 8.1 Update arrives today
- Microsoft requires migration to Windows 8.1 Update within 5 weeks
- FAQ: Good-bye old pal, old paint, Windows XP
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!