Acer to offer free Windows 8 upgrades on some ultrabooks
Acer will refund the small fee Microsoft is charging consumers to upgrade Windows 7 PCs to Windows 8 Pro
IDG News Service - Acer is offering a free upgrade to Windows 8 on some ultrabook models, saying it will refund the upgrade fee being charged by Microsoft on certain Windows 7 PC models purchased by buyers.
Acer will refund consumers who purchase the Aspire S3, Aspire S5, Aspire M3 and Aspire M5 ultrabook models between June 2 this year and Jan. 31 next year. Users will have to pay Microsoft for the upgrade, but will then be refunded by Acer via a claim website.
The offer is valid in 36 countries in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, but not in the U.S., Canada or other Asian countries. Acer representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment on whether the offer would be available in other countries.
Microsoft is charging customers US$14.99 for users to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro on qualified PC models. The fee varies based on region -- for example, Microsoft is charging AAPS14.99 (US$23) to U.K. customers for the Windows 8 upgrades. PC makers are certifying computers as being upgradeable to Windows 8.
Microsoft has also announced a separate upgrade program in which existing PCs running Windows XP, Vista or 7 OSes can be upgraded to Windows 8 for $39.99. Those PCs do not qualify for the Acer offer.
No other PC maker has announced such a program yet, and Acer's offer could be a small incentive for users to buy its PCs over rival brands.
The PC industry is reeling as buyers redirect money to purchase tablets and smartphones. Worldwide PC shipments totaled 87.5 million units in the second quarter, a decline of 0.1 percent compared to the same quarter last year, according to numbers released by Gartner this week. Research firm IDC expects a rough third quarter and possible recovery in the fourth quarter.
Acer was the world's largest PC maker behind Hewlett-Packard and Lenovo, with PC shipments growing by 3.6 percent year-over-year to 9.6 million units.
Countries eligible for Acer's offer include Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and U.K.
- Windows 'Threshold' to go public within weeks
- How risky will it be to run old IE after Microsoft's 2016 patch stoppage?
- Deja vu all over again: Windows 7 will be the new XP
- Microsoft postpones IE's Java blocking after IT complains
- Mac sales so far in '14 may signal share push
- Chromebooks may grab 5% of PC market, about the same as Apple's Mac
- Microsoft slashes IE support, sets 'huge' edict for Jan. 2016
- Windows 8's no-name update plan nails OS's coffin shut
- Windows 8.1 biz users face patch freeze as Microsoft sets critical updates
- China scrubs Apple's iPad and MacBooks from government buying list
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts