Apple iPad gets dedicated Google+ app with Hangouts
Google also updates iPhone app with Events feature
Computerworld - Google this week pushed out a dedicated Google+ app for the Apple iPad.
With the free app, which was designed specifically for the popular tablet computer, users can access and make changes to their Google+ update streams, profiles, friends Circles and account settings. It also lets people make comments, expand and reshare posts, and upload photos and videos directly from their iPads.
Before the new app was available, iPad users had to use the Google+ iPhone app on their tablets. It worked, but it didn't take advantage of the expanded tablet features. They also could use a mobile version of Google+ in Apple's Safari browser, but that wasn't ideal either.
One feature of the app that's getting a lot of attention is the ability to join a Google+ Hangout with a few friends or a group of users. Google also added the Hangout feature to its Google+ app for the iPhone.
"There's nothing like catching up with friends face to face," wrote Bradley Horowitz, a Google vice president, in a blog post. "Now you can start a video chat with up to nine friends anywhere, anytime with Hangouts on iPhone and iPad."
He added that to get started with a Hangout on an iPad or iPhone, users simply tap Hangout on the main menu, add friends and then tap Start.
"We'll ring their phones (if you want), and if someone misses the hangout, they can ring you back with a single tap," wrote Horowitz.
Also included in the Google+ app for the iPhone is a new feature called Events on Google+. The feature, which was announced late last month at the Google I/O developers conference in San Francisco, is designed to help users set up parties, reunions and other social functions. It includes tools for sending invitations and posting photos during and after the event.
"Post a comment, upload a photo or check out who's going," wrote Horowitz. "Your past event invitations are saved with all the photos and posts shared by your friends, so you can relive the party anytime you want."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or on Google+, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As Google+ nears 3rd anniversary, where does it go from here?
- Why the social networks are falling apart
- With Gundotra out, changes likely for Google+
- Google+ creator Vic Gundotra is leaving Google
- Google+ popularity jumps with 540M monthly users
- Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
- Getting around Google+: Expand your circles -- and your influence
- Getting around Google+: A guide to the basics
- Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
- 500K users flee dead-RSS-walking Google Reader for Feedly
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts