Motorola, Microsoft suspend some patent disputes until trial
The two companies agree to wait until a trial on Microsoft's complaint about Motorola RAND licensing
IDG News Service - Motorola Mobility and Microsoft have agreed to suspend their patent claims against each other in three U.S. cases until a November trial on Microsoft claims that Motorola has not lived up to promises to license some video and Wi-Fi patents on reasonable and non-discriminatory (RAND) terms.
The two companies, involved in three patent lawsuits in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, agreed to stay their lawsuits against each other while the two sides concentrate on the RAND license issues to be addressed in Nov. 13 trial, according to court documents. On Tuesday, the two companies filed a joint motion to stay all patent infringement claims.
The patent claims will be suspended until the trial, and a possible appeal, is resolved, according to the joint motion.
Representatives of the two companies didn't immediately respond to a request for comments. The FOSS Patents blog originally reported the agreement.
Microsoft's November 2010 RAND complaint against Motorola Mobility, now owned by Google, accuses the company of not licensing its patents for the 802.11 Wi-Fi standard and the H.264 video codec standard on RAND terms, as it had promised to standards bodies.
In November 2010, Motorola filed a complaint against Microsoft for allegedly infringing seven patents. A month later, Motorola filed another complaint, alleging that Microsoft has infringed three Motorola patents related to mobile computing and telepresence.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts