Motorola, Microsoft suspend some patent disputes until trial
The two companies agree to wait until a trial on Microsoft's complaint about Motorola RAND licensing
IDG News Service - Motorola Mobility and Microsoft have agreed to suspend their patent claims against each other in three U.S. cases until a November trial on Microsoft claims that Motorola has not lived up to promises to license some video and Wi-Fi patents on reasonable and non-discriminatory (RAND) terms.
The two companies, involved in three patent lawsuits in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, agreed to stay their lawsuits against each other while the two sides concentrate on the RAND license issues to be addressed in Nov. 13 trial, according to court documents. On Tuesday, the two companies filed a joint motion to stay all patent infringement claims.
The patent claims will be suspended until the trial, and a possible appeal, is resolved, according to the joint motion.
Representatives of the two companies didn't immediately respond to a request for comments. The FOSS Patents blog originally reported the agreement.
Microsoft's November 2010 RAND complaint against Motorola Mobility, now owned by Google, accuses the company of not licensing its patents for the 802.11 Wi-Fi standard and the H.264 video codec standard on RAND terms, as it had promised to standards bodies.
In November 2010, Motorola filed a complaint against Microsoft for allegedly infringing seven patents. A month later, Motorola filed another complaint, alleging that Microsoft has infringed three Motorola patents related to mobile computing and telepresence.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!