Jaspersoft BI suite gets more interactive
Jaspersoft 4.7 offers greater self-service capabilities, as well as built in connectivity to MongoDB
IDG News Service - The newly updated version of the open source Jaspersoft business intelligence suite offers end users more controls on how they can format reports and dashboards, including the ability to filter results and remove unnecessary columns.
"Ultimately, we want to get casual BI users more self-sufficient with their data," said Mike Boyarski, director of Jaspersoft product marketing. "This capability is great for IT people who want to get out of the business of writing reports again and again."
Jaspersoft 4.7 also comes with built in connectivity to the MongoDB data store and, for end users, the Android mobile clients.
The software is most widely used for generating reports and dashboards, so Jaspersoft is focusing on making these capabilities easier to use, Boyarski said. Former versions offered basic interactive tools such as the ability to drill down to a new level of information, and the ability to change tags on charts. The new version also offers the ability to filter data on the fly, as well as remove and reorder columns. Once the end user sets up these preferences, updates to the report will flow into this format.
"It's almost like an Excel experience, but one using live data," Boyarski said. This release also allows administrators can also schedule Jaspersoft to generate reports on regular intervals.
This release features built-in connectivity to MongoDB, so the data store can be tapped without the need for an ETL (extract, transform and load) tool. Jaspersoft automatically detects data fields in a MongoDB instance, which then can be accessed from the report building tool.
"Many of these new data engines are not SQL based, so it is hard for traditional tools to connect with them," Boyarski said. The company has offered stand-alone connectors for other nonSQL data sources such as Cassandra and the Hadoop data processing platform. The MongoDB connector however has been built in to the suite because MongoDB is so widely used by Jaspersoft's user base, Boyarski said.
With Android support, Jaspersoft provides client software that can be used to download and view reports. The software also exposes an API (application programming interface) for developers to connect their own Android apps to Jaspersoft as well.
The basic open source version of Jaspersoft is available for no cost under a GPL public license. The paid version, with commercial support and additional features, starts at $10,000 for a single CPU, for unlimited users. Jaspersoft estimates that about 175,000 copies of its BI software are used in production duties. The company has about 2,000 paid customers.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts