AT&T adds six more LTE cities, reaching 47 in all
New pink Lumia 900 coming July 15, as well
Computerworld - AT&T added six more cities to its 4G LTE network on Monday, bringing the total offering the service to 47 markets.
The newest cities are Buffalo, NY; Burlington, NC; Corpus Christi, TX; Gainesville, GA; Greensboro-Winston Salem, NC; and Wichita, KS, according to a spokeswoman.
AT&T has not declared average speeds for its LTE or HSPA+ network, which it also terms 4G, but says they are several times faster than 3G speeds. Verizon Wireless, which had a head start on AT&T, has already reached 304 cities with LTE, and has put the average download speeds at up to 12 Mbps. _
Sprint is also planning to launch LTE this summer. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint have all announced LTE-ready smartphones, and all three are offering the new Samsung Galaxy S III, although Verizon's has not yet gone on sale in its stores.
AT&T on Monday also said in a blog that on July 15 it will offer a pink-colored Lumia 900, a Windows Phone 7 device that is already offered in white, black and cyan. The pink Lumia 900 will sell for for $99.99 with a two-year service plan, the same as the other models, a spokeswoman said.
AT&T has plans to provide software updates for Lumia customers in coming weeks, the blog said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts