Gartner sees stable IT spending, growth in cloud services
But growth rates are slower than last year, according to new figures
IDG News Service - Global spending on IT products and services will rise 3 percent in 2012 to $3.6 trillion, according to figures released Monday by research firm Gartner. The forecast is up from the 2.5 percent growth projection Gartner issued earlier this year.
"While the challenges facing global economic growth persist -- the eurozone crisis, weaker U.S. recovery, a slowdown in China -- the outlook has at least stabilized," said Gartner research Vice President Richard Gordon in a statement. However, "continued caution" is advisable for the near future, according to Gordon.
Public cloud services spending will jump to $109 billion this year, compared to $91 billion last year, Gartner said.
Global IT services spending is set to grow 2.3 percent to $864 billion in 2012, according to Monday's announcement.
Spending on hardware will account for $420 billion this year, a rise of 3.4 percent.
Enterprise software spending will be $281 billion in 2012, a 4.3 percent jump.
Many enterprise software stocks suffered last week, following data-integration vendor Informatica's announcement that its second-quarter results would fall short of market expectations. Informatica CEO Sohaib Abbasi cited the "changing macroeconomic environment, especially in Europe," as a contributing factor.
Meanwhile, telecom equipment spending will be $377 billion this year, a 10.8 percent rise. Spending on telecom services is set to grow 1.4 percent to about $1.69 trillion, according to Gartner.
The analyst firm plans to discuss the spending outlook in greater detail during a webcast event on Tuesday, including forecasts through 2016.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- Considerations For Effective Software License Management For many reasons, software license management has become a critical issue for many IT organizations and enterprise's alike. With many licensing options, hurdles...
- eBay uses 100% OpenSource WSO2 ESB to process more than 1Billion transactions a day Along with eBay's success comes a huge demand to ensure reliable, 24x7 availability of the services that enable these transactions. For eBay, that...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.