Gartner sees stable IT spending, growth in cloud services
But growth rates are slower than last year, according to new figures
IDG News Service - Global spending on IT products and services will rise 3 percent in 2012 to $3.6 trillion, according to figures released Monday by research firm Gartner. The forecast is up from the 2.5 percent growth projection Gartner issued earlier this year.
"While the challenges facing global economic growth persist -- the eurozone crisis, weaker U.S. recovery, a slowdown in China -- the outlook has at least stabilized," said Gartner research Vice President Richard Gordon in a statement. However, "continued caution" is advisable for the near future, according to Gordon.
Public cloud services spending will jump to $109 billion this year, compared to $91 billion last year, Gartner said.
Global IT services spending is set to grow 2.3 percent to $864 billion in 2012, according to Monday's announcement.
Spending on hardware will account for $420 billion this year, a rise of 3.4 percent.
Enterprise software spending will be $281 billion in 2012, a 4.3 percent jump.
Many enterprise software stocks suffered last week, following data-integration vendor Informatica's announcement that its second-quarter results would fall short of market expectations. Informatica CEO Sohaib Abbasi cited the "changing macroeconomic environment, especially in Europe," as a contributing factor.
Meanwhile, telecom equipment spending will be $377 billion this year, a 10.8 percent rise. Spending on telecom services is set to grow 1.4 percent to about $1.69 trillion, according to Gartner.
The analyst firm plans to discuss the spending outlook in greater detail during a webcast event on Tuesday, including forecasts through 2016.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.