Rural carriers protest FCC telephone subsidy reform
A new cap on USF payments will leave parts of the rural U.S. with 'second-class' broadband, rural carriers say
IDG News Service - A U.S. Federal Communications Commission cap on rural telephone subsidies will cost jobs in rural areas and lead to higher prices for customers in those areas, a group of rural carriers said.
The FCC's cap on payments to some rural carriers, part of the agency's efforts to shift the focus of the giant Universal Service Fund (USF) from voice to broadband service, went into effect on Sunday. Members of the Rural Broadband Alliance, a trade group representing rural carriers, continue to push for the FCC to change the way it decides which carriers to cap.
Customers of the rural carriers will see new charges on their phone bills because of the caps, said Stephen Kraskin, the alliance's legal counsel. "Some of our companies have started job cut backs, some have frozen planned investments and related jobs, some are not filling jobs, and others are cutting back," he said in an email.
The FCC's "unprecedented attack on the consumers of rural telecommunications services threatens now to consign rural America to second-class broadband that is not comparable to the services that will be available in urban areas," the group said in a press release.
The caps don't give rural carriers enough money to deliver improved broadband speeds to their customers, according to the alliance. In some cases, carriers may not be able to pay back broadband loans from the U.S. Rural Utilities Service, and in other cases carriers will not be able to upgrade their networks for faster broadband, Kraskin said.
The FCC is using a flawed regression analysis model, "riddled with data errors," to determine high-cost rural carriers, the group said. The analysis attempts to compare the spending of rural carriers, but will limit investments made by many rural carriers, Kraskin said. The FCC's analysis has found that expenses of about 100 rural carriers are "excessive" and need to be capped, he said.
"My quarrel with the caps and limitations is that they are not fact-driven and related to the actual cost of providing network to enable both traditional voice and broadband service," he added. "It does not make much sense to design changes for universal service limited to voice in today's world, and the entirety of the framework of the FCC considerations was set forth correctly as the need to change the system to address broadband deployment needs."
The FCC defended the USF reforms. "The commission's bipartisan reforms bring long overdue fiscal responsibility and accountability to USF, eliminating inefficiency throughout the program," a spokeswoman said in an email. "These reforms will require some carriers that are spending much more than their peers to adjust."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Top 8 Communications Tools for Small Businesses Powerful technology is available to help your small business improve its communications with customers, employees and suppliers. View this free On-Demand Webcast produced...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Broadband White Papers | Webcasts