Twitter bolsters search functionality
For the first time, users can limit searches to their own feeds
IDG News Service - Twitter will bolster search functionality to automatically complete users' queries and suggest related search terms, among other improvements announced in a blog post on Friday.
"These updates make it even easier to immediately get closer to the things you care about," Twitter said in the blog post.
The autocomplete feature populates a drop-down list of suggestions while the user is typing in his or her query. The user can select a completed option and be redirected to the appropriate results page. Twitter notes this feature is "especially useful if you're trying to follow the hashtag for an event."
Users will also have the option to limit search results to tweets from users they follow. In other words, users will be able to search their own Twitter feeds, rather than the entire site, for information.
The beefed-up search function will also return results to a query for a person's real name that include tweets that refer to the person by user name. A search for the United States Olympic soccer player Megan Rapinoe, for example, would return tweets that cite her user name, mPinoe.
Users have at times been critical of Twitter's search feature, and the company has made several recent efforts to improve it. In May, it debuted spelling correction for search queries.
In response to today's changes, user Michelle Ray tweeted, "it's usually easier to just search Google for Twitter accounts."
But user Leah, whose previous Tweet read, "I Google everything," responded, "The search bar on Twitter just made Twitter better OMG."
The new features will be available in Twitter's apps for iPhone and Android as well as on its website. Twitter did not immediately respond to requests for comment or for more information.
Cameron Scott covers search, web services and privacy for The IDG News Service. Follow Cameron on Twitter at CScott_IDG.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts