How Citibank Uses Twitter to Improve Customer Service
CIO - Dealing with customer service via phone rarely wins companies high marks. All too often, calling that 800-number on the back of your bank card means navigating an endless, automated screening system only to be routed to an agent in an overseas call center with minimal ability to help.
So why not just skip this seemingly fruitless effort and turn to social media where you can tweet your grievances and move on? Young people in particular are doing this in increasing numbers--often receiving instant feedback, though not usually from the vendor in question. According to a survey by Our Social Times, a social media marketing consultancy, 60 percent of companies don't respond to customers via social media, even when asked a direct question.
Frank Eliason, senior vice president of social media at Citibank, the $19.4 billion financial services company that serves more than 100 million customers in 40 countries, saw as much room for improvement in how banks use social media as he did challenges. Too many banks offer cookie cutter customer service, he says: "When we looked at banks and social, they all looked alike. The whole challenge was differentiating the service we provide to customers."
Customer service is a crucial aspect of any business, but can be an especially delicate matter for financial services companies because of the sensitive and private information they manage and the regulations around how they do that.
Banks are already often the victims of phishing attacks and due to the open nature of social media sites, the risks there increase ten-fold. Instilling trust in customers that their accounts will be safe when they are discussed via a social network is not easy. All too often news breaks that another bank was caught up in an internet-based security breach like the September 2011 report that the Bank of Melbourne's Twitter account was hacked and phishing links were sent to account holders via direct message.
To be able to safely interact on Twitter, the first thing Eliason considered was security. He knew sending account information over Twitter could pose a massive risk for Citi and the customer. "The regulatory stuff presents challenges. Even if you send your account information via direct message, banks can't do that, it's considered private information."
So when Citi wanted to find a way to initiate dialogues between Citi customer service agents and customers and actually resolve issues via social media sites, Eliason sought help from LivePerson chat integration, an online engagement solution that facilitates live chats within Twitter.
This pilot fish has a project to install some new servers for a rapidly expanding bank. But the hardest part of the job turns out to be getting the IT manager to sign a Delivery and Acceptance document at the end.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Global Bank Improves Quality of Application Development
- Read how this financial institution centralized build assets, cut development time in half and added additional security controls.
- Automating Cost Transparency
- By making all of the costs of running IT transparent, IT can change the way business units consume IT resources, drive down total...
- Cisco Case Study
- Before Cisco could effectively manage the business of IT, the company needed to improve the way it accounted for the cost and performance...
- IT Financial Metrics Primer
- This Executive Brief details financial and non-financial metrics that IT financial managers must use to foster conversations with business stakeholders.
- Finance - Interactive eGuide
- In this e-Guide, Computerworld, IDG News Service and IT World examine software-defined data centers, customer experience tools, and security issues that are top... All Financial IT White Papers
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- All Financial IT Webcasts